Question Undervolting i7 8650u with Dell Latitude 7390 on Throttlestop possible?

Jul 10, 2023
since spam filter keeps tweakin, i'll talk bad english

Laptop has bad cooling
play low end games at 20-30 fps
non turbo temperatures without external cooling 70-80 then thermal throttle
turbo temperatures without cooling in 3min reach 90degrees and Prochot and 0.4ghz thermal throttle till restart
non turbo with external cooling 60-80ish degrees
turbo with external cooling 70-80 degrees, lasts for around an hour before 90degrees
I need undervolt because external cooling is uncomfy
Voltage control probably disabled in BIOS, i don't know how to use BIOS
Some say Dell/intel Hidden it from BIOS because U series CPU

I need know how to safely undervolt on the laptop

Jul 10, 2023
Real explanation:

When I play game (Rblox and such), I can't play above two Graphics, and even then, I thermal throttle in like 10 minutes and reach temps of 80–90 degrees. The turbo mode does not help, as my laptop thermal throttles in less than 5 minutes with temperatures just as high. The only solution I found was to externally cool the laptop. When I did that during turbo, I would be at about 70–80 degrees under load, and without turbo, I'd have 60–80 degrees max under load, being able to play for an hour or slightly more. From what I know, undervolting would help me get around this problem.

I tried to undervolt using Throttlestop, but it wouldn't let me access voltage control. Apparently, CPUs like the i7-8650U are blocked from accessing voltage control from the BIOS. And I don't know how to unlock it in the BIOS; I can't even open the BIOS without a clear guideline. People also say Dell usually hides the option to enable voltage control and other things used for overclocking and undervolting due to stability issues and other stuff.

Is there any way I can safely undervolt my laptop? (specifically with Throttlestop because I don't want to have another app like it.)

Aug 15, 2023
since spam filter keeps tweakin, i'll talk bad english

Laptop has bad cooling
play low end games at 20-30 fps
non turbo temperatures without external cooling 70-80 then thermal throttle
turbo temperatures without cooling in 3min reach 90degrees and Prochot and 0.4ghz thermal throttle till restart
non turbo with external cooling 60-80ish degrees
turbo with external cooling 70-80 degrees, lasts for around an hour before 90degrees
I need undervolt because external cooling is uncomfy
Voltage control probably disabled in BIOS, i don't know how to use BIOS
Some say Dell/intel Hidden it from BIOS because U series CPU

I need know how to safely undervolt on the laptop
Hi , first you can try to change thermal paste , here is a guide and also a top in order for you to choose the best option https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-thermal-paste, also you can check your laptop to have latest bios update ,https://www.dell.com/support/home/ro-ro/product-support/product/latitude-13-7390-laptop/drivers , you need to select your exact model and also after that you can try update all drivers , and test , if is still the same in that case you can go with laptop in service and they will test it further.

Jul 10, 2023
Hi , first you can try to change thermal paste , here is a guide and also a top in order for you to choose the best option https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-thermal-paste, also you can check your laptop to have latest bios update ,https://www.dell.com/support/home/ro-ro/product-support/product/latitude-13-7390-laptop/drivers , you need to select your exact model and also after that you can try update all drivers , and test , if is still the same in that case you can go with laptop in service and they will test it further.
Unfortunately for me, i cannot change my thermal paste for now because i cant afford to ship some to my home country, and there is no "professional" (who actually knows what they are doing) anywhere around me. Though i did get a bios update.

TRENDING THREADS