undervolting question on my laptop

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
hi everyone, should I undervolt my dell g7 gaming laptop with a i7 8750h cpu. im running aaa games and my temps are at the average 75c to 80c under a load, and sometimes the temp can spike to 90c for maybe a second if that long. is undervolting also safe?

Solution

Laptops tend to get hot because of the limited space. If it is only temporary spikes you should be okay. Anything more than constant 90 should make you worry. Right now there is no point in tinkering with it, it is just like asking for trouble. Make sure that nothing is blocking the airflow and you should be fine.

PuperHacker

Honorable
Better not attempt undervolting in a laptop. Since you are mostly lower than 80 degrees you should be good. As the adage says: "Don't adjust it if it is not broken". There will be a very slight gain in temperatures (if at all) and a very noticeable increase in instability. Better refrain from it/

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

what about the 90c spikes?

PuperHacker

Honorable

Laptops tend to get hot because of the limited space. If it is only temporary spikes you should be okay. Anything more than constant 90 should make you worry. Right now there is no point in tinkering with it, it is just like asking for trouble. Make sure that nothing is blocking the airflow and you should be fine.

Solution