[SOLVED] undervolting ryzen 5 3600 with ryzen master

Adi Bulz

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Hello guys, i have a ryzen 5 3600 and it was overheating with stock voltages. I used ryzen master to undervolt, i have 3650 mhz at 1.1 volts. My question is, is it safe? I am concerned about the constant voltage, on core temps the voltage is always the same, it stays 1.100 all the time. On ryzen master it goes down. Thank you very much!

Solution
How, what`s wrong? It is a big lose in performance? What can i do to dont lose that performance?
3650MHz is just 50MHz over base speed while processor is able to boost up to 4.2GHZ on one core and at least 4GHz on others if left on auto.
You should try for 4GHz at 1.2v and if temps are in low to mid 70s c, all would be fine.
Hello guys, i have a ryzen 5 3600 and it was overheating with stock voltages. I used ryzen master to undervolt, i have 3650 mhz at 1.1 volts. My question is, is it safe? I am concerned about the constant voltage, on core temps the voltage is always the same, it stays 1.100 all the time. On ryzen master it goes down. Thank you very much!
It's safe alright but you are loosing on performance at same time.

Reactions: dorsai
If the system is stable in use it's safe. The issue IMO is why bother buying a 3600 if you're just going to hamstring it with an under volt...it would be much better to address the cooling issue properly and let the cpu run the way it's designed.

Adi Bulz

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
I will do that, but when i will get a good cooler. I think this month i will get one, i was thinking about gammaxx 400 or gammaxx gte v2. When i will buy the cooler i will oc my cpu to 4/4.2 mhz. Thank you very much for your help, @CountMike , @dorsai !

I will do that, but when i will get a good cooler. I think this month i will get one, i was thinking about gammaxx 400 or gammaxx gte v2. When i will buy the cooler i will oc my cpu to 4/4.2 mhz. Thank you very much for your help, @CountMike , @dorsai !

There's no reason to over clock the chip; just set it to auto and let it do it's thing. The 3600 will boost from its base clock of 3.6Ghz up to between 4 and 4.2 Ghz on its own as part of normal operation when properly cooled and running stock settings. That's the nice thing with Ryzen cpus...they are pretty much optimized right out of the box. All you have to do is provide a properly ventilated case and a good cpu cooler...the cpu will handle the volts and clock speeds on its own.

What temps are you seeing? It's normal for CPU temps to spike temperature even at idle as it boosts frequency and temps into the 80's under moderate processing is also common, especially with stock coolers. I wouldn't be worried about temperature unless it's trying to run up around the 90's when doing the kind of processing you normally do and then I'd concern myself with fixing whatever cooling problems you may have.

Undervolting indiscriminately is just going to hurt performance. Just leave voltage and frequency in AUTO and the processor will keep itself safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz

Adi Bulz

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
@drea.drechsler right now the temps are about 65-70 while playing. The max was 71 while playing nfs heat on full ultra. While i play other games like apex and gta 5 it dosent go above 68. But that is with the voltage set at 1.1. I will buy a cooler as soon as i can and i will increase the voltage or i will let it on auto. Thank you guys !

@drea.drechsler right now the temps are about 65-70 while playing. The max was 71 while playing nfs heat on full ultra. While i play other games like apex and gta 5 it dosent go above 68. But that is with the voltage set at 1.1. I will buy a cooler as soon as i can and i will increase the voltage or i will let it on auto. Thank you guys !
That gammax looks like a decent cooler with 4 heatpipes and probably an upgrade to the stock cooler. Just keep in mind that while it might keep temps a bit lower at heavier loads, and therefore help keep up boosting clock speed, I wouldn't look for significant bottom line performance improvements like better FPS. That's going to depend much more on your GPU.

It's hard to say that's 'normal' temperature, though, if you're setting a fixed low voltage at 1.1V. Most likely, it's hurting performance significantly. Put voltage on AUTO, along with frequency, and let the processor manage itself. Only lower voltage using OFFSET adjustments, small increments at a time. Test for performance with Cinebench, both multi-thread and single thread, to see that you're not hurting.

Last edited: