Undervolting the i5 6500

uthvag

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
Hello,

I recently bought an i5 6500 and am using it with a gigabyte b150n d3h mobo from gigabyte

I've started undervoliting it today , and over the course of 7 hrs , I am comfortably able to do -0.105V on the core and cache offset voltage using XTU and it is quite stable while running prime 95 and a 4k video ( its going on even as i type) . There has been a 8 C drop from 67C to 59 C with the ambient temp around 33 C

Does anyone know how far this chip can normally be undervolted( I know , I know silicon lottery is there)? My laptops i7 4710 cant do more than 0.80V ( tested with witcher 3) and i am unable to get any articles regarding this online

Thanks!

Solution
The variability in minimum stable voltage is large.

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I have a 3570K, and at stock speeds, I can go as far as -0.200v under heavy load, but I get random crashes at partial load and idle. I find I can't get away with going any lower than -0.130v, or I'll have random crashes when leaving the machine unattended.

If you have the option of a negative "Additional Turbo Voltage", that's on way you could manage that - combine negative offset with negative turbo voltage.

uthvag

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply mate , I do realize that there is no danger in undervolting . I'm just asking the average undervolting capability of this chip ( just for comparison and as a basic guideline)

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

The thing is, when you do offset its highly variable when you'll have an issue.
When you have a static voltage and Clock speed its much easier to predict.

Most of the instability I had when using offset was when the cpu was switching clock speeds depending on the load.
A static max load will not test for that.

The variability in minimum stable voltage is large.

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I have a 3570K, and at stock speeds, I can go as far as -0.200v under heavy load, but I get random crashes at partial load and idle. I find I can't get away with going any lower than -0.130v, or I'll have random crashes when leaving the machine unattended.

If you have the option of a negative "Additional Turbo Voltage", that's on way you could manage that - combine negative offset with negative turbo voltage.

Solution

teknobug

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Turn off speed step and turbo features, those will spike voltage and can BSOD or freeze the system if undervolted too much. At stock my i5 3550 can undervolt as far as -0.12v, OC'd to 3.9GHz I can sit it at -0.08v. Intels handles undervolting pretty well.

911mic

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
I recently build a new pc for my mom. I used a asus ranger viii + a i6500 @ 3200mhz. Speedstep and turbo are disabled. It runs @ 0,86v , max temp i have seen under stress testing 42 degrees celcius.