[SOLVED] Undervolting too much

Apr 7, 2020
Hi all,

Pretty new to this so please bare with me.
I recently got a Dell G3 3590 gaming laptop for a great price knowing that it runs quite hot so I decided to undervolt it and have managed (through ThrottleStop) to get to -450mv for CPU core and cache with no problems in stability. But reading up about this it just doesn't seem possible, am I doing something wrong?

Solution
It's possible it doesn't clock up anymore as a result. I would recommend cleaning it up thoroughly, replace the thermal paste and THEN undervolt it, checking its max frequency under full core load on each reduction.
As above if you don't hit stability issues you will see a reduction in boost and possibly stock speeds. If you want to reduce heat you can also reduce the boost speed of the CPU. I have a Dell G5 with a 9850h, dropping the all core boost speed form 4.0 to 3.8Ghz in conjunction of using a -.150mv undervolt significantly helped reduce temperatures with no real world performance difference.

Apr 7, 2020
As above if you don't hit stability issues you will see a reduction in boost and possibly stock speeds. If you want to reduce heat you can also reduce the boost speed of the CPU. I have a Dell G5 with a 9850h, dropping the all core boost speed form 4.0 to 3.8Ghz in conjunction of using a -.150mv undervolt significantly helped reduce temperatures with no real world performance difference.

How can I reduce the core boost speed frequency? Using throttlestop?

Do i just use the set multiplier?

i have done a -1000mV undervolt is that even possible
Screenshot of the hwmonitor https://ibb.co/Jt1D2ky
Yes it's possible, it also means your CPU doesn't clock up much anymore - it's probably running at 1 GHz, no more. This doesn't impact stuff like web browsing too much, since this is now very well threaded (4 cores at 1 GHz is surprisingly responsive in such a case, especially now that most of the rendering is done directly on the GPU), but try and run a CPU intensive task (like a 3D render, some games or a software-only video compression) and you'll understand what "slow" means.