Question undervolting with msi afterburner made my 1660s to run at max speed even at idle

Sep 16, 2022
i recently switched from amd to nvidia card so im a total noob when it comes to msi afterburner and nvidia coz i got used to amd's adrenaline software and amd wattman settings. i know people have asked this before and some got solved but the solution doesnt seem to match what my problem is, and i have no idea what exactly is happening or what am i doing wrong.

so i tried to undervolt my 1660s in hopes of keeping the temps down but after setting the voltage curve and stuff, my gpu just run at max speed all the time even at idle causing the gpu temp to rise instead. i saw some solved problems in here and in reddit and other tech stuff sites, they said something do a clean install of nvidia drivers, motherboard drivers, and maybe fresh install of windows, but this pc is basically a new build but not really coz im using a new m.2 storage as my boot drive and a new ssd storage as game drive so the windows is freshly installed, mother board drivers are also freshly installed, as well as the nvidia drivers. so yeah, how do i properly use the undervolting without making my gpu run at max all the time? i just wanna keep my gpu temps down coz currently it's going even above 80c at times meanwhile other people's benchmark with the same gpu going just around 60-70c running the same game im trying to play

btw my build is as follows
ryzen 5 5600x
16gb ram 3200mhz from team group elite
650w 80+ gold power supply from cooler master
asrock b450m steel legends
geforce gtx 1660 super OC 6g from gigabyte
ViewSonic vx2468-pc-mhd monitor at 165hz
250GB samsung 980 nvme m.2 as boot drive
1TB samsung 870 qvo ssd as game drive

gpu and cpu are all stock, no overclock applied. thank you guys for the incoming help and stuff

Sep 16, 2022
Well there seems to be every detail in the story apart from the relevant ones such as, what cooler are you using for your CPU? Presumably you have the stock cooler on the GPU.

Since you don't seem to be savvy I won't recommend re-pasting the GPU. Nasty complicated job for a beginner.

What Is the enclosure or case or chassis of the PC? Make, model. Do you have any Optional Fans installed in it?
i have deepcool gammax L240 v2 rgb aio liquid cooler on cpu, as for the case, soon i'll switch to tecware vxm tg dual chamber case, currently i have a rakk marug case which also another reason im switching the case as well coz this case doesnt support a top mount radiator since there's not enough space. as for the re-pasting gpu yeah i dont think i wanna do that lmao i just got this gpu like the other day

Sep 16, 2022
Well my thoughts are add some optional fans to your build and also ventilate your environment if poss. since lowering the ambient temps could also reduce the temps to where you want them to be. Eg. if you were in Antarctica you could probably overclock with an ambient temp of -50c supposing you could survive the bitter weather conditions. A less extreme methodology might include air conditioning.

So basically, stick some fans on it wherever there's a space.
so the gpu running at max speed even at idle after undervolting in msi afterburner is normal?