Question Undervolting

MrDeftino

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys,

Just looking for some general tips on Undervolting. I have an Acer Nitro 7 (i7-9750H with a 1660Ti). My temps are about as expected for this laptop - around 92-95 for the CPU and mid 80s for the GPU when playing games, even with a cooling pad. I've seen people post their undervolt settings for the same laptop. Is it ok to jump straight to those settings or is the idea to gradually undervolt day-by-day or week-by-week until I hit the lowest it can go while being stable? If so, why am I unable to undervolt directly to the voltage others with the same laptop are using?

Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"If so, why am I unable to undervolt directly to the voltage others with the same laptop are using? "

You can but do not do so.

Reason: every system is different and "same laptop" is likely not directly applicable even with respect to make and model.

So if you do just jump to the desired voltage you risk the possibility that something different on your laptop may cause the attempt to end badly.

And you do not really and truly know what other people actually may (or may not have) done.

I recommend a very cautious, step by step process -"gradually" as you phrased it.

Read and follow the documentation. Check the applicable manufacturer's websites for detailed information, "how-to's", warnings, applicable Forums/FAQs.

And before doing anything: check the warranty on the laptop and be sure to back up the laptop/data.

TRENDING THREADS