Undocumented Canon Feature

MMXMonster

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I recently purchased a Canon MX870 all in one. I encountered a strange error and couldn't find a listing of the code anywhere.
This is what I did to get the error... I tried to scan a five dollar bill. Now don't get any ideas, I wasn't trying to counterfeit it. Scanning a bill is a great way to see how accurate a scanner is able to reproduce something with a lot of fine detail that a picture or document won't be able to test. Besides who hasn't scanned a dollar before? Anyways as it was scanning some error code "5,2xx,xx scan gear" would keep popping up. Does my scanner have anti-counterfeiting feature that is undocumented anywhere in the manual or Canon website? Is this a firmware or driver feature?
I have heard of this on large scale copiers, but not on home models.

G

If I was a Canon engineer designing a fairly low res scanner for home use across a global market, I doubt if I would be prepared to spend a lot of time trying to design software that could recognise a $5 bill as different from other printed material, just to protect the US Treasury against amateur forgers.

Try some other notes or similar sized printed objects.

MMXMonster

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
If I was a Canon engineer designing a fairly low res scanner for home use across a global market, I doubt if I would be prepared to spend a lot of time trying to design software that could recognise a $5 bill as different from other printed material, just to protect the US Treasury against amateur forgers.

Try some other notes or similar sized printed objects.

Interesting... I tried an old $1 and it scanned fine, but got the same error scanning a new $20. So it does appear that engineering did go into detecting and defeating any type of counterfeiting through the use of the scanner.

G

Sounds like your theory may be right. When I get round to it, like when I've finished sorting my sock drawer by shades, I'll fire up a Canon and Epson scanner and see if they can detect notes in £sterling.