Question Undocumented Light Sequence on LaCie 4Big Quadra

AlanPare

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
I've been using a LaCie 4Big Quadra USB RAID system that I bought second hand - worked dandy for about 6 weeks. One morning, I woke to find all rear lights and the front light blinking blue - as though it were in its start-up sequence - and none of the LaCie's volumes accessible. It never finished startup. After fooling around with power cycling etc., I discovered that on boot, one drive would blink red once, then enter the normal blinking blue startup sequence. I pulled the drive (Drive 3) and booted - volumes now accessible and lights indicating a failed drive. Working just like you'd expect a RAID system to do. Replaced the failed drive with an exact match. Lights now indicate rebuilding, volumes and data accessible. Yay! Three days later, the rebuild is still active - next day I find front light alternating long blue and short red, lights on Drives 2-4 blinking 3 short blue and 1 long red, Drive 1 blinking blue - volumes inaccessible. This condition is not described in the user's guide. Any thoughts on what's going on here?

AlanPare

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
Thanks, Lutfij, for responding and for taking time to think about this.

I removed the replaced drive (Drive 3) as you suggested. All light activity is the same except that Drive 3 is now alternating one-red and one-blue (previously was 3 short-blue and one long-red) - no volumes accessible. After soaking overnight, pushed Drive 3 back in and the original reported undocumented light sequences resumed. BTW, Raid 5 with 1.5 TB drives.