Uneven cooler causing bad temps?

Twitch375

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
I've been overclocking my fx-8120 after getting a new motherboard and I've found something in my temps. My cooler is a hyper 212 evo with 2 fans. When the case is standing up temps quickly rise to 70C in prime 95. When the case is laying flat temps never fall below 60. This could be a combination of many different issues but I'd like to hear your opinions and advice.

What I think it could be.
- Loose backplate / bracket on cooler
- Motherboard is leaning (Maybe due to standoffs not screwed in all the way)
- Not enough or poor application of thermal paste

I might as well try to fix all of the problems, but whats your guys input. If i just have to re-apply thermal paste then that would be great.

Danifilth

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
I made a mistake buying the hyper 212 evo cause its a pain to clean between the cracks of the heat pipes using q tips. My temps was high at first because the heatsink is so heavy it moves around without holding it in place before tightening.

First attempt was 35C 2nd attempt after going through 30 q tips and reapply small grain 28-30C idle
I used the x method when i tighten it top right bottom left top left then right in 3 rotations at a time for even pressure to spread the paste.

My cpu is a AMD 1055T stock yours may vary if its overclocked or not and make sure its secured tight since its really heavy. Don't over tighten tho lol and use the a small amount pea size since the surface is flat enough to spread

Danifilth

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

The computer i build for my friend idles around 21-24c same heatsink but 8350 with sabretooth 990fx r2.0 in cali weather since its cool over there. It varies with climate

Twitch375

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
Did you not read what I wrote? When the case is standing up I get 10-20 degree higher temps. Laying down I get 50-60C which is fine. The hyper 212 evo isnt maxed out. But my case looks hilariously depressed while laying on its side. I'm going to tighten everything down, reapply thermal paste and hope for the best.

Twitch375

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
I just tightened everything down and reapplied thermal paste, haven't ran any stress tests. but the idles vertical are 6 degrees less then when it was laying down. (14C Idle)

Twitch375

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
Sorry to disappoint YOGI. Maybe not. I ran Prime 95 for maybe a minute (Vertical) temps shot up to 70C. When I put it on its side and ran prime 95 for about 5 minutes, the temps never went above 55C. So somethings just not seated right in my case.

Not disappointing in the least!

I have always suspected that the tower style HSFs would perform best when the contact surface is the lowest part of the assembly and the heat pipes are oriented so that the ends of the pipes are at the highest. It just seems that the thermal driving forces (convection and gravity) would have their maximum effect with the heat pipes standing straight up. In this orientation, the coolant inside of the tubes has the greatest vertical distance to drive the movement and circulation of the coolant. More circulation = more cooling.

I may be all wrong but it just seems to me that the coolant vapors would travel further (to the ends of the pipes) and make more use of the cooling fins as a result. Contrast this to when the case is "standing up" and the pipes are "laying down". With the plane of the pipes parallel to the floor, the coolant vaporizes and migrates to the upper side of the pipe, not out to the ends of the pipe. So, with this orientation, you have less coolant circulation and higher CPU temps.

Just my theory.

Yogi

Twitch375

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
Figured I run testing OC testing while the case is laying down. I dont ever see my cpu being maxed out after using Prime 95. Just irritating that one design works against another. Half tempted to buy the Half XB EVO. Another Pro of having things horizontal is that my cards wont have any more stress on them. One of my 770 is starting to bend. Unless I didn't put enough thermal paste on (small bb/pea sized drop in the center) or something, idk what else to do.

TRENDING THREADS