[SOLVED] Uneven cpu core temps after repasting

lichtkayze

Prominent
Jul 30, 2020
Hello everyone. I have a lenovo ideapad gaming 3i laptop. It was getting pretty hot lately, cpu reaching 95c and dropping clock speed. So I brought it to a local service to get it cleaned up and repasted. But when I got it back it was still overheating with an additional problem; uneven core temps. Sometimes there is a 15c difference between cores. I took it back to the same service and the guy said cooling system needs to be completely replaced. Is he right? I heard poor repasting can cause this issue.

Solution
cooling system needs to be completely replaced
Just like auto repair shops, good computer repair shops are hard to find. I seriously doubt that there is anything physically wrong with your heatsink. I always recommend that you learn how to service your own laptop. Shops that use inferior paste and botch applying it are common. Laptop heatsinks tend to be barely adequate. Everything has to be perfect. There is no room for doing a half ass job.

Repasting a laptop CPU is not the same as repasting a desktop CPU. A paste that works well on a desktop CPU might give terrible performance when used direct die on a laptop CPU. Here is an example of what can happen if you do not know what you are doing.

View...
cooling system needs to be completely replaced
Just like auto repair shops, good computer repair shops are hard to find. I seriously doubt that there is anything physically wrong with your heatsink. I always recommend that you learn how to service your own laptop. Shops that use inferior paste and botch applying it are common. Laptop heatsinks tend to be barely adequate. Everything has to be perfect. There is no room for doing a half ass job.

Repasting a laptop CPU is not the same as repasting a desktop CPU. A paste that works well on a desktop CPU might give terrible performance when used direct die on a laptop CPU. Here is an example of what can happen if you do not know what you are doing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrtkiBwQV-U

Solution

lichtkayze

Prominent
Jul 30, 2020
Thank you for your answer. I was actually thinking of repasting it myself too because I really do not think there is something wrong with my cooling system. Laptop is just 1.5 years old. Is there any good thermal paste you can recommend for me?

any good thermal paste you can recommend
I have heard that Cooler Master MasterGel Pro works well in laptops.

I have not used this paste before or repasted any laptops in recent memory. Try doing a Google search. Ignore any reviews if the paste is only tested on desktop CPUs.

Edit - Did some Google searching and most popular reviews are useless information. More like sales than science.

I have heard that the newer Noctua NT-H2 works well. After seeing that video I posted, I am hesitant to try it. I sure hope the new formulation is new and improved because NT-H1 does not work well at all long term at the high temps that most laptops constantly run at.

Edit - Another good one.

Artic MX-5
https://www.arctic.de/en/MX-5/ACTCP00043A

Last edited: