Unexpected Error Encountered

BlendingJake

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
I just recently built a computer and installed Windows 8 on it. Today I installed a game, Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic, and everything went fine until I went to play the game for the first time. I clicked play and nothing happened for several minutes so I went to the task manager to see if it was just taking a little bit to load because it was the first time and there wasn't any processes running for this game. I went to start it again and the computer messed up and a screen came up with a ":(" face and said that an unexpected error had been encountered and that the computer was going to restart. It restarted and got past the initializing stage and then said "Please Wait" and acted like it was loading. It has never left that page. I put in the boot disk, and went to try a repair but it said that it couldn't repair it. So the only other options are to have it wipe all of my installed programs.

Any ideas?

Solution
The unexpected error, if i understand correctly (I got one too yesterday), is Winodws 8's version of a blue screen (I think). It seems a bit bizarre that it can't repair it, but I think Windows 8 has a refresh option where it keeps your data but essentially resets everything else? Or is that what you've already tried?

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
The unexpected error, if i understand correctly (I got one too yesterday), is Winodws 8's version of a blue screen (I think). It seems a bit bizarre that it can't repair it, but I think Windows 8 has a refresh option where it keeps your data but essentially resets everything else? Or is that what you've already tried?

Solution

BlendingJake

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
@mc962

I noticed those refresh settings but it sounded as though they deleted all programs that were installed from online or from CD. I was really suprised that it couldn't just reinstall most of the OS files. I guess that I will just do a refresh and see if it works. Thanks for your help

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
make sure you back up your data of course. It isn't something i've tried before so I can't say for certain what it will do, (or of course if something goes wrong like the power goes out and screws everything up). It Sounds like something I would do when I would use the factory settings image on my lenovo computer's recovery drive, which essentially reset everything to factory settings (in that case I would need to put my data back on but i think windows 8 is a bit different). Regardless as long as you have all your data backed up the only thing you'll lose is some time if things don't go quite right

TRENDING THREADS