Unexpected FPS Lag (Even on low graphic games)

ChrisTheVeil

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
Ok , so , a few days back my PC stopped working through the night , it wouldn't turn on , so I replaced the power supply with an older power supply and then it turned on again , but then when I tried to play games (e.g) Dota 2 I would get like 20 - 50 FPS on super low graphics and it would lag unbearably , but I always used to get 90-120 on medium graphics... and yes I updated my graphics drivers , I even get only like 40 FPS in minecraft... which is literally like impossible? I don't understand it. I have a GTX 650 graphics card. Please help and thank you! :)

Solution
when u changed ur power supply to lower power one like from 500w to 450w the power that gpu gets reduced and for games to run smoothly the gpu needs power so when it doesn't get the power it lags .. that's the easiest way to say it

ChrisTheVeil

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

Hey i won't be able to give any feedback because my computer won't even turn on anymore :| , gonna send it in

ChrisTheVeil

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

But that still doesn't explain the lag? I mean the old CPU has always ran my GPU and has more than enough watts to run it , maybe my whole pc is just broken lol

Dulith1118

Admirable
Dec 16, 2014
when u changed ur power supply to lower power one like from 500w to 450w the power that gpu gets reduced and for games to run smoothly the gpu needs power so when it doesn't get the power it lags .. that's the easiest way to say it

Solution

Yogi2367

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
... and quality of the power supplied by the PSU is essential. Personally, I only buy gold certified or better, in 1500 watts or more to run my gaming computers. I like lots and lots of head room with good clean power. I've found out the hard way that the PSU is not the place to cut cost. Under power, which is the same as a brown out, will destroy components quicker than anything and it has a domino affect throughout the system. First the drives go, then memory goes, then the GPU, and finally the CPU & mobo, and it's a ah heck to diagnose.
Granted they're expensive, but I keep a new-in-the-box one on hand all the time ... just in case :)