Question UNEXPECTED KERNAL MODE TRAP and igdkmd64.sys

jtoml3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2018
Hi all,

I just purchased Rogue Squadron 3D to relive some nostalgia. I launched the game and got the blue screen of death with this:

UNEXPECTED KERNAL MODE TRAP
What failed: igdkmd64.sys

I also get this when trying to launch Jedi Academy through Steam.

I can play games such as Arma 3 without an issue. I've read it's possibly related to the Intel graphics card. I've previously updated this hoping it would fix it but obviously not. I went and disabled the onboard Intel graphics card (UHD Graphics 630) which seems to have fixed the problem. Is keeping this disabled going to cause any issues with the computer? I know there's a chance of the Nvidia card getting hotter.

I've read but haven't tried yet, that duel monitors could be a cause of the blue screen error. If turning the Intel card back on and turning the second monitor off doesn't fix it, are there any options other than disabling the card?

UNEXPECTED KERNAL MODE TRAP
What failed: igdkmd64.sys

That KERNEL error is usually triggered by two things: either the CPU generated a condition that the kernel is not allowed to catch, and/or it's an unrecoverable error. The most common cause is hardware failure, IMO, mostly due to faulty or mismatched memory. But even a faulty/corrupt software installed on the computer can also make this error pop-up.

The igdkmd64.sys is a system file, or maybe a software component of the Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers. It says as failed mostly because this file might be either corrupt, and/or damaged. Which OS do you have ? Try doing a CLEAN and a FRESH re-install of the Windows OS, if need be. Is that a LAPTOP, or a PC ?? But first, please provide more details from your side, as much as possible.

Scan your system's REGISTRY for any errors as well.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

jtoml3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2018
I turned the Intel card back on, turned the second monitor off and it still works, so it looks like the second monitor could be the problem for some of these older games.