Question Unexpected PC Shutting Down

Oct 23, 2019
Hi all,

My PC is shutting down very randomly.
I am suspecting that the Power Supply Unit is faulty but i have tried testing the PC with Furmark at 100% for both CPU and GPU.
I have checked that it was able to run for a 30mins without shutting down.
So after an hour of the test, it suddenly shuts down again.
I then try to power on back but the pc just keeps shutting down again.
I then proceed to off the power plug and not touch the computer.
After an hour i on the computer, it then keeps shutting down every 10mins.
The PC also shuts down when i plug in any USB.
I have tried running scans also.
I also tried turning off fast start up.
I also tried updating to the latest windows 10.

I am at lost of what to do.

Please help thanks!

To me it sounds like it could be the PSU.
Have you checked the voltages?
If not....I would. It may help clear things up.
You can check the voltages with HWInfo.
The main voltages are +12, +5 and + 3.3.
You want them to remain within 5% of these values at all times.....under load....at idle......etc.
If they don't.....I would get a new PSU.

Oct 23, 2019
MB + CPU
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus ultra + i5 9600k

Ram
Corsair Vengence LPX 2666Mhz C16
16gb

Graphics Card
Zotac RTX 2070 8GB Mini

SSD
Samsung 860 EVO Pro 500GB

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Liquid Cooler
Corsair hydro H100i Pro RGB
$169

Psu
Cooler master 650W Gold

Case
S340 Elite

Oct 23, 2019
Shutting down at USB plug-in sounds more like a short. Is this a case USB connection or a motherboard connection?
It happens when I plug either the front or back port of the case. It if doesn’t happen straight away it happens after I start copying files. If I don’t plug in any USB it shuts down randomly.

Last edited:
"If I don't plug in any USB it shuts down randomly." This doesn't make sense to me based on the sentence before it. Leaving that out, it sounds like there is a short in your case. Disconnect every audio and USB jack from the board and see how long you computer stays up.

Oct 23, 2019
"If I don't plug in any USB it shuts down randomly." This doesn't make sense to me based on the sentence before it. Leaving that out, it sounds like there is a short in your case. Disconnect every audio and USB jack from the board and see how long you computer stays up.

This is why i am at a lost also. No matter what I do the computer just shuts down unexpected even when I just leave it idling.

I will try disconnect every audio and USB jack and get back ! Thanks a lot for helping. Really appreciate it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 23, 2019
I have tried disconnecting the USBs, it didn’t work. I actaully tried to take out the gpu and ran onboard graphics it actually worked up to 7 hours and counting on. I RMA-Ed my GPu but when I tried to run in 4K using furnace on my Zotac Mini 2070 OC it suddenly crashed showing a lot of lines. I then tried to restart the pc but the resolution became 800x600 and I reformatted my pc and reinstalled the Nvidia driver. It didn’t help. Have I just burnt my newly RMA GPU? Is this suppose to happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 23, 2019
Guys, i RMA-ed the GPU. Nothing helps.

I also tried disconnecting the USB and audio jack still shuts down.

Apparently PC still shuts down when i on it for some time, or it shuts down when i plug in Hard drive, no matter front or back panel.

AM at a lost...

Oct 23, 2019
https://ibb.co/r6Z7Cdb

You can refer to this.

PC1 is the higher end PC.

PC2 is lower end which works fine.

When i interchange the power supply both PC1 & PC2 does not shut down, i also plugged in every port in PC2 with the Cooler Master PSU it does not shut down PC2.

how else can i test..