ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
I've been searching online, alongside my event viewer, to find the cause of the issue. My PC will unexpectedly shutdown or restart - sometimes under load and other times it will be idle. I started having this issue while playing The Outer Worlds, but I know it isn't a system issue, no overheating, PSU problems, etc.

I've looked at the event viewer(filtering 1074, 6006, 6008) and all I am getting is:

The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\MusNotificationUx.exe (CHRIS) has initiated the restart of computer CHRIS on behalf of user Chris\Chris for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack (Planned)
Reason Code: 0x80020010
Shutdown Type: restart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (CHRIS) has initiated the power off of computer CHRIS on behalf of user Chris\Chris for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shutdown Type: power off
Comment:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (CHRIS) has initiated the power off of computer CHRIS on behalf of user Chris\Chris for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shutdown Type: power off
Comment:

The previous system shutdown at 11:27:47 AM on ‎11/‎5/‎2019 was unexpected.

I get a few of these info logs in the event viewer and they're always followed by the error above - "unexpected shutdown".
Any solutions or any idea what could cause this?

There is no pre-cursor to the errors, I can't predict the issues, it has been completely random. I've had 1 restart today, 2 yesterday, and then almost a week in-between.

Solution
hey Chris,
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
hey Chris,
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

Solution

ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
hey Chris,
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

I'll have to give it a go - it could be very likely, I've just never experienced random restarts like this as I try to keep my PC up-to-date. I appreciate the response!