[SOLVED] Unexpected shutdown after upgrading graphics card

Jan 31, 2019
Hi, after installing a new graphics card, my computer has been experiencing a whole slew of problems. Firstly, after trying to play a game for about an hour, the monitor would shut down (presumably to overheating). After trying to fiddle around with settings in the AMD WattMan, the computer would show visual glitches before reverting the changes made. Finally, 3 days after installing the new graphics card, my computer unexpectedly shut down and will not turn on anymore. My computer's specs are listed here: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/vT9Ggw

The graphics card currently listed there was originally an R9 380. What should I do to fix this?

Solution
No I mean the power supply could be failing to provide the correct power needed to run the GPU. Or the GPU itself could be bad. It's impossible to guess which unless you have a spare psu or working GPU on hand to troubleshoot
Jan 31, 2019

Gameplay did not get choppy, it seemed like everything was running properly. How do I check if that is the case and what are the next best steps to take?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Will it boot without the GPU? If it's the vrms another motherboard is all that'll help. Could be you butchered a setting in wattman and harmed your GPU possibly. So see if it'll show signs of life without gpu plugged in. Does it do anything when you hit the power now?

Jan 31, 2019

The PC would not turn on when I pressed the power button while the GPU was plugged in. After removal it turned on and went to the login screen.

Jan 31, 2019

I performed the steps as instructed, and now the power button is on but no fans are spinning and nothing is displayed on my monitor. What does this mean?

Jan 31, 2019

The only change I tried to make was to increase RPM when the gpu reached certain temperatures since what I was initially observing was that the gpu was overheating and causing the hdmi to stop working.

Jan 31, 2019

It seems like it would be the latter, no? When I removed the GPU the computer would boot properly but with this rx580 it would not boot at all...

Jan 31, 2019

So does that mean the motherboard is not working then? Sorry, a lot of the terminology for computer parts escapes me.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
No I mean the power supply could be failing to provide the correct power needed to run the GPU. Or the GPU itself could be bad. It's impossible to guess which unless you have a spare psu or working GPU on hand to troubleshoot

Solution
Jan 31, 2019

I don't have a spare psu but I do have the old gpu that I replaced. I plugged that in and the pc would not turn on at all, so would that indicate that the psu is shot?

Jan 31, 2019

Okay, I'll go about getting that replaced. One of the prior things you said earlier was that this motherboard was not a good one to support the processor I had, is that something I should replace as well?

Jan 31, 2019

And I would do that through wattman settings?

TRENDING THREADS