[SOLVED] Unexpected Shutdown and Restart

Oct 21, 2019
Recently my machine has been shutting itself off mid-game. I usually turn off any other applications off (Chrome, Steam/Origin launchers, etc.) so that the only apps running during gaming are the game itself and Discord. Initially I thought that something may be overheating during gaming, but the computer has also shut itself down while I was just watching YouTube, so I'm unsure. I just replaced the no-name brand PSU yesterday (10/21/19) with a new Corsair unit, so I don't think the power supply is the problem, despite what my quick queries seem to have point towards. I usually only run games at mid-high graphics settings, so I don't think the GPU is getting overloaded either.

CPUID HWMonitor shows that my max CPU temp is 75c, my max SSD temp is 51c, my max HDD temp is 42c, and my max GPU temp is 65c.
Reliability history shows that it's happened 5 days straight between 10/15 - 10/19, and today, 10/21, and all it says in the technical details for each shutdown that the "previous system shutdown was unexpected," duh.
Every time the machine shuts itself off and restarts I see Event ID 6008 and 41 in the system log, as well as 10016 repeated quite a few times.
If anyone can point me in the right direction before I start spending money on parts that didn't need replacing anyway, it would be immensely appreciated.

Solution
Doesn't seem like a memory issue, but let's check it anyways. Download memtest86 and install it onto a clean usb drive. Plug in the drive and restart and it should boot into the program. Let it run a few passes(hours) and see what comes up. Should have zero faults.
Oct 21, 2019
Not at my own computer currently, here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

i7-8700
16 GB RAM
1 TB HDD and 120 GB SSD
ASUS Phoenix GTX 1060 3 GB
ASUS Prime H310 Plus
Corsair RM750 PSU

It's a prebuilt unit - iBuypower Trace 940 with the only change being the power supply.

Not at my own computer currently, here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

i7-8700
16 GB RAM
1 TB HDD and 120 GB SSD
ASUS Phoenix GTX 1060 3 GB
ASUS Prime H310 Plus
Corsair RM750 PSU

It's a prebuilt unit - iBuypower Trace 940 with the only change being the power supply.

Decent specs. Very Strange. Does it ever shut off while sitting idle in Windows?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019
Not quite sitting idle, but it did shut off once while I was just watching YouTube videos.

I posted this same query on the Microsoft forum and someone suggested that I turn off fast startup as there were multiple errors linked to that every time the machine did the shutdown-restart dance.

Doesn't seem like a memory issue, but let's check it anyways. Download memtest86 and install it onto a clean usb drive. Plug in the drive and restart and it should boot into the program. Let it run a few passes(hours) and see what comes up. Should have zero faults.

Solution