[SOLVED] Unexpected shutdown every 5-10 minutes. Do I need a stabilizer + UPS to make sure everything runs

Jun 5, 2020
Hey guys,

I just built my PC and it worked fine for a day until it suddenly shuts off unexpectedly and wont turn on. And when I tried unplugging and plugging the plug, suddenly my room light went out. After that it can no longer turn on at all. The very next day, I got it into the repair shop and it turned on as if nothing was wrong as they did the stress test to both the GPU and CPU for around 15 minutes and nothing happened. I went home and tried it at home and it still doesn’t work. I speculated that the electricity might be the issue which is why I tried to increase the ampere at the current outlet that I am using. After that, I tried turning my computer back on and to no surprise it turned on and off again in 5-10 minutes. I didn’t want to try powering it up again and again as I heard unexpected shutdowns can cause harm to internal parts. The very next day, I tried bringing it into the repair shop again as they suggested in doing an endurance stress test to make sure nothing was wrong with the PC parts. They did the stress test for about 2 hours and everything worked perfectly fine (Now I am pretty sure it is an issue with my electricity.) I really have no clue as to what I should do because I am no computer expert. I usually only play Dota 2 and browse YouTube and very rarely play demanding games. The repair shop suggested that I buy a stabilizer for my whole house or at least for the computer. I rarely see people nowadays use stabilizers and am asking this forums’ expert opinion on whether or not I should invest in a stabilizer. I am willing to spend as long as it keeps my PC running normally.

This is the one he offered me (but I am open to other options if there are better alternatives).

Uninterruptible Power Supply Powergarde 1750VA.

Here are the specs of my build:

Motherboard: ASUS STRIX z270h
Case: Phanteks Enthoo 719
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
CPU: i7 7700k Kabylake 4.2 Ghz
SSD: V-Gen 480gb
PSU:Thermaltake Toughpower Grand Series RGB 850W
Fan: Noctua NH-D 15

Note: My brother has been using his pc for almost a year in this same house (with better specs than i have) and is doing fine with no issues at all. However, he has a lower wattage psu at 750W but with platinum level as opposed to my 850W gold level. (Idk if that matters)

Solution
So just to be clear the PC is not working off sockets in your house, but with the same PSU etc no problem at the PC store correct? What the shop has said maybe the only way for now but it is really only a battery that allows the PC to keep going for a short time due to power loss or a surge, not a long term or desireable solution in my book.

If the PC is working fine on a normal socket in the shop then the problem is what is coming out of your wall.

I would get someone to check out the circuts in your house, a PC turning on should not be blowing lightbulbs. It would seem the PSU has actually done it's job by switching off and protecting itself from a current surge. But the only way to save your PC, TV, lightbulbs, haidryer and...
D

Deleted member 2720853

The 80+ efficiency rating isn't that important and does not reflect the quality of a PSU.

The Thermaltake Toughpower PSU is a garbage-tier PSU and is essentially a ticking time bomb, I would not use it, not with those specs.

Jun 5, 2020
The 80+ efficiency rating isn't that important and does not reflect the quality of a PSU.

The Thermaltake Toughpower PSU is a garbage-tier PSU and is essentially a ticking time bomb, I would not use it, not with those specs.
Thanks for your fast reply! This is the 2nd psu ive bought. Sadly, im stuck with it for a while. The issue now is whether or not a stabilizer + ups will fix my issue as suggested by the PC repairshop.

No the PSU from Thermaltake is not garbage tier.....
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-850w-platinum-power-supply

There is a problem with your hole in the wall by the looks of it and a new PSU won't help that. Get it checked by an electrician as a defective socket may one day set the whole damn house on fire..... should not cost much and maybe as simple as the earthing wire is loose......

Jun 5, 2020
No the PSU from Thermaltake is not garbage tier.....
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-850w-platinum-power-supply

There is a problem with your hole in the wall by the looks of it and a new PSU won't help that. Get it checked by an electrician as a defective socket may one day set the whole damn house on fire..... should not cost much and maybe as simple as the earthing wire is loose......

Hey, thank you for your reply!

Thank god the PSU is not garbage lol i wont be able to change anytime soon hahaha... I tried turning the PC on in several different sockets around the house and the result is still the same (only being able to power for a brief minute then turns back off). As I said, I wont be replacing my PSU anytime soon and am considering buying a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) from what I read online they are both different parts. Will it help with my issue or will am I just throwing away money at this point trying to get this PC to run at my house.

I even tried plugging my PC in my brothers commonly used PC socket and I keep getting the same result...

So just to be clear the PC is not working off sockets in your house, but with the same PSU etc no problem at the PC store correct? What the shop has said maybe the only way for now but it is really only a battery that allows the PC to keep going for a short time due to power loss or a surge, not a long term or desireable solution in my book.

If the PC is working fine on a normal socket in the shop then the problem is what is coming out of your wall.

I would get someone to check out the circuts in your house, a PC turning on should not be blowing lightbulbs. It would seem the PSU has actually done it's job by switching off and protecting itself from a current surge. But the only way to save your PC, TV, lightbulbs, haidryer and kettle etc. longterm are to get the household electric circut sorted.

Solution
Jun 5, 2020

I would get someone to check out the circuts in your house, a PC turning on should not be blowing lightbulbs. It would seem the PSU has actually done it's job by switching off and protecting itself from a current surge. But the only way to save your PC, TV, lightbulbs, haidryer and kettle etc. longterm are to get the household electric circut sorted.

Yes, the PC did not work in sockets inside my house but worked perfectly fine at the store. Also yes, they recommended that I get a stabilizer + ups. I will try to get the sockets and circuits fixed at my house but am wondering IF (i hope not) the electricians are not able to find out the root cause of the issue, will buying a stabilizer + ups help with my issue at all?

I honestly don't mind spending a bit more to get this PC working. However, I am not willing to spend if all I get is a bunch of unused PC parts and an additional UPS + stabilizer. Sorry if I sound stubborn, I really want to get this PC running as soon as possible :(