Question UNEXPECTED_STORE_ERROR (0x00000154) in Windows 10

maddman715

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Hello! I've been having a problem with my computer where it randomly hangs/freezes under load, especially during gaming. This will evolve into a BSOD, usually 0x00000154. The .DMP can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PffBJ-bEm8EBjTaIz0p1ci269PPO_G1U/view?usp=sharing

My specs are as follows:
Asus Z87-A
Intel 4770k
GTX 1070
WD Blue 256GB
12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3.

I've already tried uninstalling Intel Rapid Storage Technology, updating drivers, swapping SATA cables, swapping drives, testing and swapping RAM, testing and swapping video cards. I'm afraid I'll have to swap out the motherboard but I'd like to think that there is a solution that doesn't require that. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi maddman, I'm debugging this as we speak and looking at the events leading up to the crash, thanks for posting the minidump.

This is usually caused by a driver from my experience, so the hardware changes would be unlikely to change anything.

Can you confirm if the issue still occurs in safe mode?
I will post my debug report once complete.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've ran this through a debugger and have found the following:

You can view the full report here (including 3rd party drivers and timestamps): https://pste.eu/p/YH8D.html

BugCheck 154, {ffffac018da5e000, fffffa034464a4c0, 2, 0}

Probably caused by : hardware_disk
This indicates that the store component caught an unexpected exception.

You have quite a few older third party drivers running - which could all potentially lead to a problem, you may want to ensure your Intel Management driver is fully up to date as a start from this list.

There were also some WD hard disk drivers running, however I cannot see without extra research if these drivers are up to date.

I would also recommend that you run SFC / Scannow and CHKDSK in an elevated command prompt to rule out OS violations or hard disk issues.

What do you use Dokan for? It's not a software I have experience with however if I am not mistaken it is a form of advanced file manager, which could potentially lead to corruption depending on how it is used.

I also noticed you are using mixed RAM modules, is this a new addition? Have you made any software/hardware changes recently?

Another driver you'll want to update your netr6164.sys - Ralink RT2561 RT2661 series Wireless Card driver as this can cause these issues - especially if your Store is accessing the internet at the time, therefore causing this driver to fault but blame it on a store component.

Reactions: Satan-IR

maddman715

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
I've ran this through a debugger and have found the following:

You can view the full report here (including 3rd party drivers and timestamps): https://pste.eu/p/YH8D.html

BugCheck 154, {ffffac018da5e000, fffffa034464a4c0, 2, 0}

Probably caused by : hardware_disk
This indicates that the store component caught an unexpected exception.

You have quite a few older third party drivers running - which could all potentially lead to a problem, you may want to ensure your Intel Management driver is fully up to date as a start from this list.

There were also some WD hard disk drivers running, however I cannot see without extra research if these drivers are up to date.

I would also recommend that you run SFC / Scannow and CHKDSK in an elevated command prompt to rule out OS violations or hard disk issues.

What do you use Dokan for? It's not a software I have experience with however if I am not mistaken it is a form of advanced file manager, which could potentially lead to corruption depending on how it is used.

I also noticed you are using mixed RAM modules, is this a new addition? Have you made any software/hardware changes recently?

Another driver you'll want to update your netr6164.sys - Ralink RT2561 RT2661 series Wireless Card driver as this can cause these issues - especially if your Store is accessing the internet at the time, therefore causing this driver to fault but blame it on a store component.

Thank you! Running down the list to update any drivers I missed. When I attempt to update the Intel Management driver, I get a "fatal error during installation" and cannot continue. I have uploaded the log files generated from the driver here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GkjNdlt5nPN4QJ7IJDYobmr1rhYPqZ8v . I will run those tests tonight. Dokan isn't set up to do anything, not sure why it'd be showing up. The RAM is fairly new, however, the problem persisted with the initial modules and test modules.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Failure (fatal error) during any installation process is also a sign of probable RAM issue, physical problems or issues caused by having mixed modules.

Alongside recommendations by PC Tailor I'd suggest you check your RAM modules, one by one, using memtest.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Dokan isn't set up to do anything, not sure why it'd be showing up.
But none the less the module was present during the crash, I'd be tempted to disable it or uninstall it if it is not needed. I think your wireless driver is the bigger culprit, but it's best to eliminate outliers just to be sure.

Also a memtest will be useful to verify RAM problems that may be causing this, the fatal error may occur if the driver is already installed and up to date however.