Unexplainable FPS drop?

Zuki_PC

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
I just got back from holiday and all of a sudden, my computer is running GTA V around 10-20 fps lower on average. I have check for updates and theres none, I have defragged and done everything possible, now GTA is bearly playable. I dont understand how it got worse, my computer hasn't been touched in 6 days? Any help is grately apreciated.

R9 280 3G
FX-6350
2x4GB Corsair Value Ram
600W PSU

Almost certainly a CPU overheating issue. As suggested, check CPU temperatures while gaming. If they exceed 65C, you should clean the heatsink, reapply thermal paste, improve case airflow or simply replace the entire CPU cooler with a better one.

A short explanation: overheating causes CPUs to lower their frequency to prevent even worse temperatures, so you lose performance.

Zuki_PC

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
Okay so my CPU is at around 62C and I noticed my GPU is around 77C. I had bought a new CPU Cooler because the stock was no good. Cable management inside the case in next to impossible as its fairly small and has almost no cable routing areas. and if I were to reapply thermal paste, would I just force the cooler off? And how would I get rid of existing thermal paste?
Thanks btw

Zuki_PC

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
Okay so I completely cleaned my computer which has dropped the CPU to about 46C But the fps is still pretty garbage even with lowered settings. How does fps decrease when the computer hasnt even been on? Can someone explain that to me?

TRENDING THREADS