Question Unexplainable Sound

xqSarah

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
My PSU might have quite literally become an elephant. (It's a Corsair VS650)

Jokes aside, is this dangerous, any ideas what it is, I assume the fan but never heard anything like it anywhere else, because I'm planning to buy a new PC whenever prices drop, and replacing just the PSU isn't really an option because I have a small case and I'd have to replace everything either way (Plus prebuilds are now cheaper)
This is the sound that I was talking about:

After a long while it turns into a weird buzz:

Thank you for any help!

You've got a bee trapped inside your PSU :) It sounds like extreme coil whine. I'd check to make sure nothing is catching the fan just in case, but it does sound like more of an electrical noise. Don't fully understand why it's not possible to replace just the PSU. As for the PC, you could build a new PC and use your current video card, it's only the latter that is severely inflated in price.

xqSarah

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
You've got a bee trapped inside your PSU :) It sounds like extreme coil whine. I'd check to make sure nothing is catching the fan just in case, but it does sound like more of an electrical noise. Don't fully understand why it's not possible to replace just the PSU. As for the PC, you could build a new PC and use your current video card, it's only the latter that is severely inflated in price.
Problem is, Mobo and CPU are the only things left of any use and maybe the SSD. I don't have an option to customize the prebuilds(they are cheaper than building custom unless buying used parts maybe under msrp) that I've got my eyes onto, so only way would be buy a psu for this pc, then later on get the prebuilt pc, and sell one of the psu's. Also appears to be a hefty psu shortage too.
For checking the fan I'm worried that the capacitors would not get discharged, often pressing power button doesn't seem to react

Problem is, Mobo and CPU are the only things left of any use and maybe the SSD. I don't have an option to customize the prebuilds(they are cheaper than building custom unless buying used parts maybe under msrp) that I've got my eyes onto, so only way would be buy a psu for this pc, then later on get the prebuilt pc, and sell one of the psu's. Also appears to be a hefty psu shortage too.
For checking the fan I'm worried that the capacitors would not get discharged, often pressing power button doesn't seem to react
I do wonder if you have a bad cap to be honest. When I said check it, to be clear, I didn't mean go inside the PSU. Just look from the outside to see if anything was obstructing the fan. It didn't sound like a fan to me though.

xqSarah

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
I do wonder if you have a bad cap to be honest. When I said check it, to be clear, I didn't mean go inside the PSU. Just look from the outside to see if anything was obstructing the fan. It didn't sound like a fan to me though.
I am not really able to see the fan, it appears to be facing bottom, which has some sort of plates protecting it