here's my system
gtx 970 SC
Seagate 1tb sshd
8gb crucial 2x4 gb ddr4 ram
msi b350 tomahawk motherboard
amd r5 1600x cpu
corsair ax760 psu
windows 10

im getting half the performance i should be getting in games. today i ran the benchmark for dirt showdown on this system and i got 46 fps average but i see people on youtube getting at least 100fps avg with this card. i checked the temperatures for both the cpu and the gpu and the cpu never got above 45C and the GPU never got to 79C so i don't think there's any thermal throttling.

Remixex

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Well, youtube isn't always the best source for benchmarks, also Is it 1080p? And what's an SSHD? is it a regular HDD?

Anyways, yes it is a low fps score, check your graphics drivers, or maybe even the chipset ones

in nVidia control panel pick performance mode
in windows control panel do the same for main processor, etc.
update to the latest driver
clean background running apps incl. disable those you need from automatic startup and check for viruses, malwares, etc.

@Remixex: SSHD (hybrid) is a normal HDD with extremely small SSD only for caching.
@469buddy: SSHD is only waste of money for desktop. If you have this already, you can keep it but in the future avoid this type of hdd for desktop. It is far better to get separated true SSD and normal HDD. SSD for OS, etc. and HDD for normal data (music, photos, etc.).

469buddy

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
I also want to point out that this isn't something that has always been around, when I built my pc it ran fine at first and then it started doing this out of nowhere. how do I scan for viruses? I think I have malware because ive been having problems with searching via the start menu and some of my software has stopped working or crashes. or do you think it is the hard drive failing? are failing hard drives documented to have an effect on framerate?

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I sometimes force drivers to increase graphics quality. I have run into a similar situation where I was getting way low FPS numbers then days later found that I had forced in the driver 60FPS cap and AAAx8 Super Sample. Worth looking at.

Apr 8, 2018
hey guys OP here, i dont remember my password for that acct rn so

here is what i've tried:
uninstall drivers with display driver uninstaller and reinstall (helped with halo online but dirt showdown is still just as slow)
ran memtest 86
ran chkdsk and it said it found no bad sectors
enabled prefer maximum perfromance in nvidia drivers
nvidia driver is at default settings other than that
checked for virus

i really don't know what to do here. i've tried everything. what could be causing this? i even downgraded to windows 7 and that didn't change anything

i also don't know if this was happening originally, i know i said it didnt but that was based on my performance in halo online which is now the same as it was.

469buddy

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
here is what i've tried:
uninstall drivers with display driver uninstaller and reinstall (helped with halo online but dirt showdown is still just as slow)
ran memtest 86
ran chkdsk and it said it found no bad sectors
enabled prefer maximum perfromance in nvidia drivers
nvidia driver is at default settings other than that
checked for virus

i really don't know what to do here. i've tried everything. what could be causing this? i even downgraded to windows 7 and that didn't change anything

i also don't know if this was happening originally, i know i said it didnt but that was based on my performance in halo online which is now the same as it was.

Seyed22Shaheen

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

The windows falls creators update (1709) brings new features to windows 10 with aim of improving game performance however it only makes it worse. The features like game DVR (which caps the FPS in game and may conflict with the game settings itself) and full screen optimisation (which is not supported by most games) make gaming worse. Sometimes disabling these features alone wont do, you have to uninstall them and there is no direct way to uninstall these features. You need to use powershell and remove some registries to clean uninstall these features. you can skip all the hassle with just reverting back to the previous update (1609 or 1607)

USAFRet

Titan

And that is obviously not a universal problem, and does not apply to every PC or user.

"Identify the problem before applying a solution"

Seyed22Shaheen

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

I don't see the OP happy with the answers in this thread, if i were him i would try anything for a solution. I don't see your point as to why are you denying my answer. I did have this problem and some of my friends as well, uninstalling the update worked. Let the OP decide whether to try the solutions in his thread or not.