[SOLVED] Unexplained gaming lag on PC, despite normal connection on other devices ?

Nov 2, 2021
Hi all, first post here because I'm so incredibly frustrated as I can't work out why on earth all my games are lagging after my house move. I have basic tech knowledge and can find my way through instructions and stuff, but I'm some way off troubleshooting and diagnosing problems!

I have a brand new PC, about a month old and it was working perfectly at my old house on Vodafone Broadband, even working fine over Wifi, didn't need the ethernet connection. I have then moved house, set everything back up, now using Sky Broadband (as one of the only providers for my area) and the Wifi around the house is fine, browsing on the internet on my PC is fine, as is streaming video etc. But as soon as I load a game, the game lags unbearably and is unplayable. Running a basic internet speed test is giving me download approx 49mbps, upload approx 39mbps

The way I see it is that my system is exactly the same, the software is exactly the same, but the ISP has changed and surely the problem must lie there? I have tried using ethernet as well, but there's no change. I have looked at a number of other threads on all sorts of sites but nothing seems to address the problem. I even had a free 7 day trial of Grain Connect as an ISP at my new house, so tried that and was getting the same DL/UL speeds, internet working fine everywhere and on everything EXCEPT for when loading a game and trying to play - even the in game menu is lagging when I load up Battlefield 4.

Don't know whether this makes a difference, but the only other change in my house is that I have also had Sky Q installed with a mini box for multiroom upstairs also that connects to the Wifi - but when trying Grain connect, these were not on the network and made no difference. Also, when testing all this, there was only my PC doing any kind of gaming/streaming.

Aside from turning things on and off, resetting, reinstalling etc, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Solution
Is Sky Broadband a Fiber to the Cabinet internet service? I would run some speed tests and see what your latency(ping) is because that's more important in games than your bandwidth. Games only need about 1mbps of bandwidth during gameplay. But the latency needs to be as low as possible. If you latency is consistently over 80ms, every game you play will lag.

Is it a consistent lag, or a sporadic lag spike?

If your internet is cellular based, every game will lag. Cellular has high latency, typically in the 50-150ms range. In this case, your only choice is to sign up for STARLINK in a rural area.
Is Sky Broadband a Fiber to the Cabinet internet service? I would run some speed tests and see what your latency(ping) is because that's more important in games than your bandwidth. Games only need about 1mbps of bandwidth during gameplay. But the latency needs to be as low as possible. If you latency is consistently over 80ms, every game you play will lag.

Is it a consistent lag, or a sporadic lag spike?

If your internet is cellular based, every game will lag. Cellular has high latency, typically in the 50-150ms range. In this case, your only choice is to sign up for STARLINK in a rural area.

Solution