Question Unexplained hard drive issue

Hydraxouz

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
I'm on mobile so sorry for any issues.

Because of prime day I saw a great deal on a very high capacity external drive from Western digital. I know that basically all external drives are just internal drives in enclosures, because I had dismantled an external drive before and used it internally My plan for this one was to dismantle it and use the internal drive in my home theater PC as a network storage backup drive.

Upon plugging in The drive when it was in the enclosure it worked, I also tested it right after I removed it from the enclosure with a USB SATA adapter. I cleared anything off of it, and unallocated it. I then installed it in the computer and the drive does not show up in the BIOS, file explorer, disk management, or device manager. I'm at a complete loss for what the problem could be. I tried using different SATA cables different power cables with different slots for everything. I tried to use the power and SATA from the other drive in the system and it failed to start.

Upon starting the system the drive doesn't appear to be spinning up. The power supply is definitely good enough to handle it, The drive is brand new so it's not damaged. I even tried adding an allocation to see if it would register, didn't work. One thing to note the drive is extremely large with 12TB specifically the model is WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN 12TB model. My motherboard is a ASUS M5A78L-M Plus. I have no idea what else the problem could be, I really don't like having external USB drives since they can be easily knocked over or damaged. Any suggestions or advice is extremely appreciated thanks.

Last edited: