Unexplained high temperature reading

Pseudomax

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Hi

I have recently redone my lounge cupboards to house my media centre that contains a Intel i5 6600 based HTPC. Because I was worried about ventilation, I have just started monitoring the CPU temperatures. Note that I have a ARCTIC Alpine 11 Rev.2 - 95 Watts CPU Cooler installed, and this system has been running without any faults for 18 months. I initially had the cupboard doors open to allow adequate ventilation, but having just installed some reasonable vents in the rear of the cupboard I have closed the doors and done some temperature readings.

I initially used "Open Hardware Monitor" and was confused both by the number of temperature sensors listed on the CPU (6 plus the Core Temp) but also Temperature Sensor 4 was spiking to 120 degrees centigrade. This measurement was fluctuating wildly between 60 degrees and 120 degrees centigrade within half a second. Much of the time was spent above 110 degrees centigrade.

I was about to look to purchase a new cooler when I read the very helpful review on Intel CPU temperatures and subsequently download RealTemp. Having run this utility I find no unusual temperatures. Given that the fan is not running high (and does when the ventilation is poor) and that the system has worked without a problem for 18 months ... should I be worried about this high temperature reading? ... what sensor is it?

Many thanks in advance (note the screenshot was of both utilities running simultaneously)

kACDNS

Pseudomax

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I used HWMonitor and there was also no worrying temperatures shown!

On closer checking, I found actually I was not looking at the i5 CPU but rather a device called: Nuvoton NCT6791D which has had others report widely varying temperatures too.

Given that it does not appear to cause any issues, I have decided to leave as is and 'see what happens' ... which clearly I am hoping will be nothing!