Question Unexplained software crashes

Feb 12, 2019
Hello everybody,
I recently built a new computer (specs below) and randomly, softwares crashes.
For instance, some days I can play for hours without any trouble and another day the game will crash like 4 times in an hour.
It happens mostly while playing (crash happens on several games) but also while browsing on Chrome.
When it happens, the soft I'm using just crash without any error message.
Sometimes in the event observer I got an ID 1000 and sometimes nothing is reported in the event observer.
I already reset my computer thinking it was an issue with the windows registry but nothing changed.
A also ran memtestx86 in order to test my ram and no error occured.
I'm hoping someone might know a way to fix it or at least what's causing it.
My specs :
AMD ryzen 1920 X
msi X399 SLI
GeForce 2080 RTX
G.Skill 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
2 Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2.5" (500 Go)
Seasonic 750W Gold

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Which version of Windows do you have?

If you set the Windows to save a memory dump as dump files when the BSODs happen and upload the dump file somewhere (more than one file is better that is a few dumps after a few BSODs) and leave a link here it can be looked at.

With a number of dump files it might be possible to see whether the crashes have something in common and point to something special and to narrow down what causes the crashes. It might be a driver/conflict issue.

Are you overclocking any of the components? If yes set them back to stock speed/clocks and see if the problem goes away.

It can be a RAM problem and sometimes RAMs that cause crashes show no errors in tools like memtest86.

Have you recently added hardware? Also check in device manager to see if any of the components have yellow exclamation marks indicating a driver or other issues.

Do you have and are you using any antivirus/security software? Sometimes these happen due to data corruption by virus/malware.

Also it wouldn't hurt to check your storage for errors and such.

Feb 12, 2019
Thanks for your quick answer, here are the answers to your questions:

I have Windows 10.

I configured windows to have minidumps files but unfortunatly one of my games just crashed and the minidump directory is empty, I think I will have to wait a BSOD but is does not happend that often.

None of my components are overclkocked.

How can I check if it is a RAM error or a storage error ?

I recently bought the whole computer. And regarding the component manager, there is no yellow exclamation in it and I updated all my drivers thanks to driverscloud.com

Feb 12, 2019
Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

I think I will have to wait another BSOD ...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks for your quick answer, here are the answers to your questions:

I have Windows 10.

I configured windows to have minidumps files but unfortunatly one of my games just crashed and the minidump directory is empty, I think I will have to wait a BSOD but is does not happend that often.

None of my components are overclkocked.

How can I check if it is a RAM error or a storage error ?

I recently bought the whole computer. And regarding the component manager, there is no yellow exclamation in it and I updated all my drivers thanks to driverscloud.com

No problem, glad to help. Yes memory content is 'dumped' when there's BSODs and such, when for example a game crashes to desktop there's no dump. You can also check Windows Event Viewer to see if any component/service/driver has registered an error at the time of the crash you just had.

If RAM shows no errors after say a 4-hour run of a few memtest test rounds it's not easy to pin point and determine if they're faulty. Especially so when they're mismatched. You mentioned you have 2x8GB DDR4 DIMMs. Did they come in a pack of two or by any change you bought two single 8GB DIMMs and put them together?

You can check your storage health by looking at SMART data. You can use software like HD Sentinel or HD Tune Pro Portable etc.

If you think the drivers are up to date the issue of outdated drivers being at fault here is moot.

You can wait for next possible BSOD and we can look at the dump to see if there's any clue that can help us find the problem.

Feb 12, 2019
Here is what I have in the event observer (homemade translation):

Invalid application name of DyingLightGame.exe, version: 1.16.0.0, timestamp: 0x5abb698a
Faulty module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 25.21.14.1881, timestamp: 0x5c5209e7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Error offset: 0x0000000000ce03bf
Faulty process ID: 0x23d8
Default application start time: 0x01d4c3c0e547da18
Faulting Application Path: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ Steam \ Common \ Dying Light \ DyingLightGame.exe
Faulty Module Path: C: \ Windows \ System32 \ DriverStore \ FileRepository \ nv_dispi.inf_amd64_4aa19ae78d94d8a3 \ nvwgf2umx.dll
Report ID: 625ccaae-c966-471d-a53c-7110b01539fe
Full name of the failed package:
ID of the application related to the failed package:

My RAM was a pack of two RAM.

I was also thinking that I had an issue with a driver so I had reset my computer and I still have the issue. How can I ensure that my drivers are ok ?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As far as I remember people used to have problems with this DLL file (nvwgf2umx.dll) a few years back too, some kind of conflict with display driver in games. It also happened to people with multi-display setups such as connecting the computer to monitors and TVs at the same time or similar setups.

You said it happens in Chrome too maybe because the browser is set to 'Use hardware acceleration when available' which uses graphics card to render pages and such.

This brings to mind the efficiency of the service you mentioned you use to update drivers. Are you sure you currently have the latest nvidia display driver installed?

You can use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to uninstall the graphic driver and try a clean install of the latest nvidia drivers for your card to see if it helps.