Unfamiliar icon in system tray on boot + weird noise

Rodgers74

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
9/11/16, 12:40pm
Booted my PC to hear a weird audio sound coming from my main monitors speakers. The boot process was very slow compared to its usual boot times, and could hardly move the mouse cursor. I noticed an unfamiliar icon in my system tray while this was happening; it was similar to the shape of a paddle that you use on a boat, but also had a dot above and bellow the paddle. Shortly after a USB port error appeared cut off on the bottom right of the screen. A couple seconds later I can move my mouse cursor and everything loads properly like a usual boot...

*I have checked my processes and startup apps and didn't see anything unfamiliar. I couldn't check while this whole incident was happening due to being unable to move my cursor.

*I also checked my Device Manager and noticed an "Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)" in my USB Controllers.
But looking at the properties of it says it's working properly...
Looking at the Events it had 3 time-stamps all for the same time/date, today at boot.
Descriptions read as:
"Device installed (usb.inf)"
"Device not migrated"
"Device install requested"
No idea if related to what happened.

*My virus/malware protection didn't find any threats.

*Haven't tried rebooting to see if the issue reoccurs...

UPDATE: 9/11/16, 1:01pm
Started checking all my USB devices. Had a USB flash drive plugged in but it is functioning properly. Checked my USB DAC and noticed it wasn't being recognized. So I unplugged and plugged back in; it's working now. I went back to my USB Controllers in device manager and noticed the prior mentioned Unknown USB Device was no longer there. So that leads me to believe that wasn't the issue.

UPDATE: 9/11/16, 1:22pm
Rebooted PC again to try to reproduce the error. Booted normally with no errors and usual boot speeds.

UPDATE: 9/11/16, 7:28pm
Managed to reproduce the unfamiliar icon in the system tray. It is definitely linked to the prior mentioned "Unknown USB Device", AKA my USB DAC.
I've had troubles with the driver on this DAC before but after updating them months ago I hadn't had any problems till today.
Still doesn't explain why the noise occurred... Or does it?

Solution
since it plug under usb i would check the connector from it the 2 middle one are data and the external power you could use a lens flat screwdriver to lift gently a little bit the pins to be shure they made contact .

Rodgers74

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015

Just got the icon to reappear, it is definitely the USB DAC not being detected. I've had troubles with the driver for the DAC before, but when they pushed out an update it was working fine till today... Perhaps a new bug.

Still not sure why the noise occurred at this point though.