Question Unhandled Exception: When application opens file browser.

smr3506

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Hey,

So I have this issue when some applications try to open a file browser I get an unhandled exception error.

Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit. the application will close immediately.

Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {DCIC5ASC-E88A4DDE-A5A1-SOF82A20AEF7} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 80040111 ClassFactory cannot supply requested class (Exception from *RESULT: 0x800040111 (CLASS_E_CLASSNOTAVAILABLE)).

I have tried looking everywhere for an answer over the past few weeks and am all out of ideas. Most of the suggestions I have found are related to databases/C# neither of which are applicable. I believe it is something wrong with whatever is built into windows to open that up, but I can't be sure.

Steps I have tried:
SFC
DISM
PC Reset

My last option is to do a whole windows re-image but I would obviously like to avoid that if possible.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you have a great day!

Colif

Win 11 Master
it seems to be a permissions error. Are you using the same user?

Try making a new local user and see if same thing happens to it - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account

if it is user, its easy enough to remedy.
  1. login to normal user
  2. make new user an admin
  3. copy contents of old user folder at C:\Users\Username onto the new users folder in same directory - it now has same access as old user.
  4. login to new user
  5. All you need to do now is set up browsers and/or login to Onedrive/steam if you use them. NO need to reinstall anything.
it takes 15 minutes, I have done it before. I would leave old user there as its always handy to have a spare, just in case something else goes wrong.

Last edited: