Unhappy ships defecting

Way back in 1999 or so Tim mentioned:

"If you're losing a war then your race will tend to get unhappy as ships
are lost, etc. Races that become very unhappy defect to another race.
Their number one choice will be another race of the same type belonging
to another player. "

This was one of the things he wanted to put in the game, but I don't
think he has ever had time to do it. Has anyone ever seen any evidence
of this?
--
Paul Honigmann

No!
In fact I am playing in a game right now in which
the enemy I am fighting has had a happiness
level on all of his bases around -300 some
are as high as -200 for 30 turns now.
So if ever this was to be tested in a real game
this is the test. 30 plus turn with an enemy
always near -300 rock bottom happiness and
never a lost mutiny ship!
So this does in fact not work!
Perhaps the rule is tied to ship happiness?
If so I suggest that ship hapiness will never
go low enough in a game to cause this rule
to show its behavior. I.E. The -300 base happiness
obviously does not infulence ship happiness
enough to cause this rule to act.