[SOLVED] Unidentified Devices in my private network!

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Hey guys,
I noticed today that there are few devices in my network Wi-Fi that I don't identify. Initially I thought it was my neighbors leaching my connection so I changed SSID and password for the network. After few minutes I saw these devices pop up again in the network. These 3 things are repeating lenovo_a6600d40, HTC_Europe, F103_Pro. Quick google search told me these are mobile phones but I do not have any such brand in my house. And I noticed another thing, these devices are not listed in my router arp listing but only shown in Windows share and they do not have an IP address even though they have a MAC address shown in Windows network. I have attached the screenshots showing what is happening. I even tried different PC and result is same. Tried using wifi and ethernet and still same devices shown.
Any help appreciated as this thing has been bugging me all day.
Thanks

Solution
Here is a link that may prove helpful:

https://appuals.com/fix-unknown-strange-devices-showing-network/

From the link:

"Windows Connect Now on Windows 10 and 8 goes and does some further work. When you click on the Network in your ‘File Explorer’, Windows Connect Now, sends out a ‘packet/beacon’ to not only get a list of the current devices connected to your network, but also potential other devices that respond back to its request via Wi-Fi. For this reason, you will see the rogue devices even if your Wi-Fi is hidden. It also reads the logs you usually cannot see yourself from a router to see what has within a certain amount of time sent out one of those packets, to try and give you the fullest list available of...

Ralston18

Titan

From the link:

"Windows Connect Now on Windows 10 and 8 goes and does some further work. When you click on the Network in your ‘File Explorer’, Windows Connect Now, sends out a ‘packet/beacon’ to not only get a list of the current devices connected to your network, but also potential other devices that respond back to its request via Wi-Fi. For this reason, you will see the rogue devices even if your Wi-Fi is hidden. It also reads the logs you usually cannot see yourself from a router to see what has within a certain amount of time sent out one of those packets, to try and give you the fullest list available of all possible devices you may connect to, if you and that device both have the proper authority to do so. This is the reason why you will not see these devices by accessing your router list from its settings and connections."

Solution

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

From the link:

"Windows Connect Now on Windows 10 and 8 goes and does some further work. When you click on the Network in your ‘File Explorer’, Windows Connect Now, sends out a ‘packet/beacon’ to not only get a list of the current devices connected to your network, but also potential other devices that respond back to its request via Wi-Fi. For this reason, you will see the rogue devices even if your Wi-Fi is hidden. It also reads the logs you usually cannot see yourself from a router to see what has within a certain amount of time sent out one of those packets, to try and give you the fullest list available of all possible devices you may connect to, if you and that device both have the proper authority to do so. This is the reason why you will not see these devices by accessing your router list from its settings and connections."
I have given it a shot, will keep monitoring if they show up and post back. Thanks :)