Question Unidentified Network No Internet Connection - Ethernet

billydavies21

Honorable
Aug 23, 2015
I've spent hours Googling, troubleshooting, resetting, configuring, you name it! I cannot get my internet connection to work via ethernet. I've followed extensive guides on flushing dns, renewing ip configs etc. but nothing seems to work.

I figured it might be best just to ask here and go through things step by step with people who might be able to help.

So... My windows laptop wifi connects to my router, but it's not great because I use it a few rooms away. I bought a powerline adapter so I can use a wired connection. It worked OK, but as soon as I would start gaming, I'd constantly get ping spikes, or lose connection entirely. I followed some guides regarding manually setting IP addresses, but it didn't work, I wasn't able to even connect. I put my settings back to auto, and now it won't connect at all! I just get "unidentified network. no internet connection".

I've uninstalled the adapter in device manager and reinstalled. I've tried different manual IP address configurations. I've flushed DNS, I've tried differrent cables. I've tried plugging the laptop directly into the router. Nothing works.

Sometimes when I mess around with the settings, I'll get "my network name - no internet access", so I know that sometimes it sees the router and will attempt some sort of connection. But most of the time it's "unidentified network".

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out the problem. I just want to be able to use my laptop and play some games with a reliable connection!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

billydavies21

Honorable
Aug 23, 2015
what your dns server? did you get an ip address?

I've tried using Preferred DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.1.1 (both of which work fine when I set them manually for the wifi connection).

I had an IP address assigned automatically by the router when I first connected of 192.168.1.205. Trying to use this manually doesn't work.

TRENDING THREADS