[SOLVED] Unifi Network Suggestions

Jul 15, 2021
Good morning,

I'm currently operating an Asus wireless router, which is hardwired to my desktop, as well as to a Unifi Switch 8. A UAP-AC-PRO-US is hard wired to the Switch to extend the reach of my wireless network further out in my house than the router could reach (I also have a few bedrooms hardwired from the Switch 8). I may add another UAP-AC powered off my current UAP to further extend my signal to my back porch as well, but that is not an immediate need.

The Asus router seems to have died this morning, so it's time for an upgrade. I was considering purchasing a USG and another UAP-AC-PRO-US to take the place of my current router - would that be ideal, or would anyone have any other recommendations? If I would go the USG route, I may need to add a small switch in my office to hardwire my desktop, the current Switch 8, and to add another port for future additions.

I'm new to the Unifi line, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've sketched out my current setup below for reference.

ASUS Router -> Switch 8 -> UAP-AC-PRO-US

Thanks!

Solution
Thanks for the insight, kanewolf. I'll take a deeper look into that for sure. I had read about the UDM breifly, but had seen some people mentioning issues with spotty coverage, speed fluctuations, etc, which was why I had been considering the USG and UAP combo. Any insight into those issues?
I purchased my hardware before the UDM. I wouldn't buy a USG today.
There are ALWAYS people that complain. And those are the ones that post. I think that the majority of the problems are self inflicted.

kanewolf

Titan
Good morning,

I'm currently operating an Asus wireless router, which is hardwired to my desktop, as well as to a Unifi Switch 8. A UAP-AC-PRO-US is hard wired to the Switch to extend the reach of my wireless network further out in my house than the router could reach (I also have a few bedrooms hardwired from the Switch 8). I may add another UAP-AC powered off my current UAP to further extend my signal to my back porch as well, but that is not an immediate need.

The Asus router seems to have died this morning, so it's time for an upgrade. I was considering purchasing a USG and another UAP-AC-PRO-US to take the place of my current router - would that be ideal, or would anyone have any other recommendations? If I would go the USG route, I may need to add a small switch in my office to hardwire my desktop, the current Switch 8, and to add another port for future additions.

I'm new to the Unifi line, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've sketched out my current setup below for reference.

ASUS Router -> Switch 8 -> UAP-AC-PRO-US

Thanks!
Since you want a router and WIFI, I would recommend a dream machine (NOT the PRO). It has a router, switch, AP, and cloud key all built into one unit.

Jul 15, 2021
Thanks for the insight, kanewolf. I'll take a deeper look into that for sure. I had read about the UDM breifly, but had seen some people mentioning issues with spotty coverage, speed fluctuations, etc, which was why I had been considering the USG and UAP combo. Any insight into those issues?

kanewolf

Titan
I purchased my hardware before the UDM. I wouldn't buy a USG today.
There are ALWAYS people that complain. And those are the ones that post. I think that the majority of the problems are self inflicted.

Reactions: msmdesigns
Solution