Uninstall DNS and demote a DC

I should demote a Domain Controller (Win2k) and it has a AD integrated DNS
Server running (There are more DNS servers in the domain) anyone knowing how
I should get rid of the DNS server, before or after I run dcpromo?

Yes, give it to a friend

"Microsoft.com" <krister.odhammar@brio.net> wrote in message
>I should demote a Domain Controller (Win2k) and it has a AD integrated DNS
>Server running (There are more DNS servers in the domain) anyone knowing
>how I should get rid of the DNS server, before or after I run dcpromo?

In news:%23Gm7brNGFHA.2608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Microsoft.com <krister.odhammar@brio.net> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I should demote a Domain Controller (Win2k) and it has a
> AD integrated DNS Server running (There are more DNS
> servers in the domain) anyone knowing how I should get
> rid of the DNS server, before or after I run dcpromo?

You don't have to do either. Just be sure, that no machines still have the
machine in TCP/IP properties for DNS. When you demote the machine, if the
zone is stored in AD the zone will go away on Win2k.

You can certainly still run DNS on the machine, it won't hurt a thing. You
could even use it as a caching only DNS, with all the AD DNS servers using
it as a forwarder. Then let this machine be the DNS that visits the whole
DNS world including, borrowing a term from Herb Martin, evilhackers.com.
Since it doesn't have to resolve the local resources, it should be able to
handle all your internet resolution with ease.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]