[SOLVED] uninstall itunes

wkwallst

Honorable
May 1, 2018
Have windows 10 pc and trying to uninstall itunes and reinstall a clean version
I must have made a mistake when I uninstalled because when I try to reinstall from Microsoft store I get this error..."Windows can't find C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\AppleInc.iTunes_12106.2.48003.0_x64__nzyj5cx40ttqa/itunes.exe"
I have tried everything I can think of, I can't find this file. I do find it numerous times in the registry, but there seems to be lots of instances. Also tried CCCleaner registry cleaner to no avail.
Any suggestions?"

Thanks

Solution
Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Do you see any iTunes or Apple related processes or services running?

You can also use Process Explorer (free) to look as well. However, you may need to download Process Explorer via Microsoft's website.

I tend to be wary when dealing with Microsoft/Apple mixes.

And doing any Registry editing is to be avoided.

If you run "dir /s it*.exe" without quotes via the command prompt are any files found?

Ralston18

Titan
How did you do the initial uninstall?

And just for verification you download iTunes via the Microsoft Store and then the file cannot be found - correct?

When you do the download do you see any process bars and/or AV scans being done?

Doublecheck where the download is being saved: drive, folder....

wkwallst

Honorable
May 1, 2018
How did you do the initial uninstall?

And just for verification you download iTunes via the Microsoft Store and then the file cannot be found - correct?

When you do the download do you see any process bars and/or AV scans being done?

Doublecheck where the download is being saved: drive, folder....
I followed these instructions...https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275#additional however I did not realize there were 2 instances of Apple Software Update until I was done.

And just for verification you download iTunes via the Microsoft Store and then the file cannot be found - correct? YES

When you do the download do you see any process bars and/or AV scans being done? NO

"Doublecheck where the download is being saved: drive, folder...." When I go to Microsoft store it says "Product is installed" error appears when I click Launch

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Do you see any iTunes or Apple related processes or services running?

You can also use Process Explorer (free) to look as well. However, you may need to download Process Explorer via Microsoft's website.

If you run "dir /s it*.exe" without quotes via the command prompt are any files found?

Solution

wkwallst

Honorable
May 1, 2018
Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Tried that all ready already, found in app history only, tried to delete got same error

Do you see any iTunes or Apple related processes or services running? No

You can also use Process Explorer (free) to look as well. However, you may need to download Process Explorer via Microsoft's website. Nothing found

If you run "dir /s it*.exe" without quotes via the command prompt are any files found? Found 2, 1 I was able to delete, but "...itunes.exe/nzyj5cx4ottga" returns error 0x0070780

Ralston18

Titan
Error 0x80070780 by any chance? I.e., " File cannot be accessed by the system."

That "nzyj5cx4ottga" seems to be more of an image link type reference than a subfolder in a path name.

Try the ATTRIB command to learn more about that file.

https://www.technipages.com/access-denied-when-running-attrib

Goal is to just determine the existing attributes. Not to immediately change them or do anything to the file.

wkwallst

Honorable
May 1, 2018
still no luck
can't seem to find file to check attributes
the only place the file appears is in the error message
NEVER MIND...FINALLY SUCCESS!!!
After too many hours and trying every trick I could think of and endless Google searches and websites...I got it!
Every time I deleted every directory and file that was apple/itunes/ipod...etc and tried to reinstall from Microsoft store, it said it was already installed. So finally I found how to delete program installed from Microsoft store through setting/apps and features and there was itunes. Clicked and chose uninstall and it was gone.
Downloaded itunes from https://files03.tchspt.com/temp/iTunes64Setup12106.exe from this site launched exe file, install took no time and now have the fresh install of itunes I was looking for.
No errors, clean install, clean opening...FINALLY.

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS