Uninstall Product Key and Install in different PC.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
As the title suggests, I'm wondering if I can uninstall an OEM copy of Win 10 on one PC and install (and re-activate) it on a different machine. I was told that Win 10 allows for moving to another machine (unlike Win 7).
I have uninstalled the Win7 product key before and used it on another machine with no issues. But Microsoft changes the license requirements occasionally.

Solution

Contrary to popular belief, there is no 'uninstall' of the license key.
Yes, there are various website and procedures that show you how to do that, but in reality, that does noting.
It simply tells this PC that it no longer has a license. It does NOT phone home and tell the activation servers that the license in question is free to use elsewhere.

Now...

USAFRet

Titan

Contrary to popular belief, there is no 'uninstall' of the license key.
Yes, there are various website and procedures that show you how to do that, but in reality, that does noting.
It simply tells this PC that it no longer has a license. It does NOT phone home and tell the activation servers that the license in question is free to use elsewhere.

Now, on to your Win 10.

Probably no problem.
Read and do this, before you do anything with the hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

This will link your OS license (the digital entitlement) to your MS account.
If this was a preinstalled OEM Win 10, this may not work. At all. And there is no 'fix'.

But try it.
If you do get that license tied to a MS account, then with the new system, go through the activation troubleshooter steps.

Solution

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Excellent response and answer. Thank you. I will give it a try.
The machine I have Win10 on now is indeed a pre-installed OEM. It is a refurbished machine from a "Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher". But I'll give it a try.

Update:
Even though I have a sticker on the machine with a product key, when I check in Settings, it shows I have a digital license. Shouldn't it say 'linked to my Microsoft account" since I have a MS account?