Uninstall windows 8

kezlee71

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I had to buy a new PC for my shop as the other one crashed, unfortunately it had Windows 8 preinstalled and now none of my retail software and accounting software and drivers are compatible so I raced out and bought Windows 7 but can't install that without deleting Windows 8 which I have found to be impossible. Can anyone help me I am at my wits end!

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Have you tried running the software in compatibility mode? There's nothing different between Windows 8 and 7 in software running capability apart from some installers freak out when they read Windows version being 6.2 (Windows 8) instead of 6.1 (Windows 7).

robinharris

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

The trouble is Windows 8 is not an Upgrade of Windows 7. It is a completeky different Aps based OS and unless you are an IT pro it is a complete nightmare to get rid of. I think Microsoft should be taken to the cleaners for calling it an upgrade. My new laptop starts up as soon as you open the lid even though I have disabled this option. There is only a pretend desktop which you cannot make as a default startup. In all the OS is meant for the touch screen tablet market and fails miserably for the ordinary PC/Laptop user.

kezlee71

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I tried all that and then spent 3 hours on the phone to Microsoft over numerous days as wel as HP, and neither of them could do it either from the disk or downloading a special one from their website. Microsoft said they can't find an answer as to why Windows 7 won't install and believe me we went through every senario. They said Windows 8 cannot be uninstalled. It was the driver that my MYOB accounting package that would not install therefore I couldn't work my thermal receipt printer in my retail shop and MYOB haven't created the updated version as it is an older printer and as it works I was not going to buy another one.

PS You don't get the option with Windows 8 to format disk or delete windows 8 partition on preinstalled HP computers.

I ended up returning the computer and searching for one with Windows 7 on and now is all good but allot of wasted time.

I don't think that Windows 8 is suitable for retai shops at all it is really for touch screen operators and even takes longer to shutdown having to go to top right corner then settings then shutdown - crazy!

robinharris

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

How to uninstall windows 8. First go online and download and install Free EaseUS® Partition Master 9.2.1 Home Edition it's free for home users. Run the program and delete the partition it will reboot for this. Then enter setup at restart and disable secure boot then change from UEFI to CRM. Install windows 7 from setup disc.

If you don't delete the partition it will not install windows 7 because it will still have a GPT partition.

kezlee71

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I tried that but HP must have something else blocking it as it still didnt uninstall. Thanks anyway.