uninstall windows messenger 4.7

I recently started receiving pop-up messages that there
is a new version of win messenger available (I think
after installing some security updates! for XP SP1) and
want to get rid of the popups and also completely
eliminate windows messenger 4.7 from my computer.
Can you tell me how?
Also, will this stop the new pop-ups I have been getting
since the recent update installs?

Thanks for your help, sstephy

Terabyte

CLICK START/RUN
type this in exactly as it appears ensuring no spaces on either side.

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

If you use outlook express.. then i suggest you do this aswell:
click START/RUN
type in REGEDIT and press enter
Navigate to this place down the left hand side:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name
Hide Messenger