I wish to uninstall WindowsXP (legal copy) from my hard drive and install
Windows ME in order to use hardware that XP doesn't support. I have a new
laptop with it's own version of XP, I am not using one copy for 2 computers.
Could you please help. Henry. The installation doesn't show in the Control
Panel/Add Remove list, it is the only programme installed.

Be very sure you want to do away with the XP setup. Stop if you do not have the WinMe CD, such as in the case of OEM setup with a hidden partition for recovery. IF this system came with a Recovery CD, all you have to do is follow instructions on their recovery/restore procedure.

If there is nothing else on the system (and you have already saved your files & data), AND there is no un-install option, then
(a) have in hand a Win ME system-boot diskette, (b) reboot from diskette, (c) at the DOS prompt

You likely have leftover boot files in your system root folder ( C:\ ).
You need to look really well, because some are hidden.
First delete from c:\
boot.ini
bootsect.dos
ntldr
ntdetect.com
pagefile.sys [ if it exists ]
hiberfil.sys [ if it exists ]

Then at the dos prompt issue the command....
SYS C:

That SYS command is the final step in getting ready for WinMe as the sole o.s.

Then you can proceed with WinMe install (as needed).

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

henry21 wrote:
> I wish to uninstall WindowsXP (legal copy) from my hard drive and
> install Windows ME in order to use hardware that XP doesn't support.
> I have a new laptop with it's own version of XP, I am not using one
> copy for 2 computers. Could you please help. Henry. The installation
> doesn't show in the Control Panel/Add Remove list, it is the only
> programme installed.

Hi

How was XP installed? If XP came pre-installed on the Laptop, then the only
way you are going to be able to install ME is to format the hard
drive/partition first.

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"henry21" <henry@ennifer81.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>I wish to uninstall WindowsXP (legal copy) from my hard drive and install
>Windows ME in order to use hardware that XP doesn't support. I have a new
>laptop with it's own version of XP, I am not using one copy for 2
>computers. Could you please help. Henry. The installation doesn't show in
>the Control Panel/Add Remove list, it is the only programme installed.

Sorry, I confused you. The Laptop is a new separate computer. It is on the
old computer I wish to install ME from a legal copy bought by me from a
Retail Outlet. I believe I have a ME setup disc, do I need any change in
BIOS A Drive? The installation of XP was done by me it is Upgrade CD but I
believe it formatted the drive because everything was cleaned including
Windows ME, I wanted this anyway. Thanks again, Henry.