Uninstalled GPU, no onboard graphics, black screen :(

kameronj033

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Hello! I intentionally uninstalled my NVIDIA GTX 970 graphics card in an attempt to make it possible to change my screen resolution to 1600x900 while not knowing the consequences of my actions. I rebooted the PC and now I am presented with a black screen and no way of reinstalling the card/drivers. My PC has no onboard graphics and I need to know if there's anyway to fix this mistake with my current graphics card. Thanks!

Solution

Correct. Which is what I said. Plug the card back in. Windows will work for you. Cole9 doesn't seem to understand. Your card works fine. Your motherboard works fine. Your monitor works fine. You just need drivers, and windows comes with basic video drivers.

Now on to the second part. Why do you want 1600x900? What is your current monitor. If it doesn't support that resolution, you don't want to...

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Putting the card in a different computer means nothing in this scenario.

Windows has generic drivers. If your card is installed and connected to a monitor, You'll get a poorly scaled desktop. It will let you use it fully, but you won't be able to change resolution. From there, navigate to Nvidia's website and grab the GeForce Experience. Install and you'll be back to before.

In the future, uninstalling your driver would never have helped you change your resolution. Just go to windows settings>screen resolution.

kameronj033

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Putting the card in a different computer means nothing in this scenario.

Windows has generic drivers. If your card is installed and connected to a monitor, You'll get a poorly scaled desktop. It will let you use it fully, but you won't be able to change resolution. From there, navigate to Nvidia's website and grab the GeForce Experience. Install and you'll be back to before.

In the future, uninstalling your driver would never have helped you change your resolution. Just go to windows settings>screen resolution.

The card and drivers were uninstalled, that's the issue. And I was trying to change to 1600x900 but that was not an option in the display settings. Foolish on my part nonetheless.

Cole_9

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
You might just have too see if one of your friends has a monitor you can borrow and try to reinstall the drivers from there. It should display something if you have it connected to a computer monitor.

"The card and drivers were uninstalled" ummm just asking is the card still pluged into the motherboard?, because this makes it sound like you removed the card from the case. if so just plug it back in. windows will use basic vga drivers and you will have a display again. if card is still installed just ignore this advice. good luck

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Correct. Which is what I said. Plug the card back in. Windows will work for you. Cole9 doesn't seem to understand. Your card works fine. Your motherboard works fine. Your monitor works fine. You just need drivers, and windows comes with basic video drivers.

Now on to the second part. Why do you want 1600x900? What is your current monitor. If it doesn't support that resolution, you don't want to force it, because stuff will be out of proportion. If it's about a game that you're downscaling, select that option in the game video settings.

The card does NOT store drivers on it. They are on the Hard Drive in the computer they are to be used with.

Solution