Uninstalling an Update performed by Windows Update process

I would like to know how to uninstall an update that was performed by Windows
Update. The update itself was in the "Hardware, Optional" Type list (ie. not
the "High Priority" or the "Software, Optional" list). The update that was
installed shows up in the History log correctly. I believe that Microsoft
incorrectly scanned the computer and assigned a hardware update that
pertained to a different type of hardware ... specifically, the update
pertained to an "IBM Thinkpad UltraNav Pointing Device" whereas the actual
hardware is a Toshiba Satellite with a Synaptics Touchpad". The Touchpad no
longer works after the update was installed. Where does Windows store what it
did ... ie. is there a log file anywhere which shows which files were
modified or perhaps where it stored the original files that were replaced.
Ultimately, I want to uninstall the update that was applied. If I click on
the update that was applied in the History log, nothing happens.

1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
2. In the Search box type: SYSTEM RESTORE , and hit enter.
3. Then click on: "Run the System Restore Wizard".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"TRI-C" wrote:

| I would like to know how to uninstall an update that was performed by Windows
| Update. The update itself was in the "Hardware, Optional" Type list (ie. not
| the "High Priority" or the "Software, Optional" list). The update that was
| installed shows up in the History log correctly. I believe that Microsoft
| incorrectly scanned the computer and assigned a hardware update that
| pertained to a different type of hardware ... specifically, the update
| pertained to an "IBM Thinkpad UltraNav Pointing Device" whereas the actual
| hardware is a Toshiba Satellite with a Synaptics Touchpad". The Touchpad no
| longer works after the update was installed. Where does Windows store what it
| did ... ie. is there a log file anywhere which shows which files were
| modified or perhaps where it stored the original files that were replaced.
| Ultimately, I want to uninstall the update that was applied. If I click on
| the update that was applied in the History log, nothing happens.

I'm afraid that the erroneous update was made some time ago and a lot of
other security updates have been made in the interim. Correct me if I'm
wrong but I believe that the approach you are suggesting is asuming that this
update was the last one made.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
> 2. In the Search box type: SYSTEM RESTORE , and hit enter.
> 3. Then click on: "Run the System Restore Wizard".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "TRI-C" wrote:
>
> | I would like to know how to uninstall an update that was performed by Windows
> | Update. The update itself was in the "Hardware, Optional" Type list (ie. not
> | the "High Priority" or the "Software, Optional" list). The update that was
> | installed shows up in the History log correctly. I believe that Microsoft
> | incorrectly scanned the computer and assigned a hardware update that
> | pertained to a different type of hardware ... specifically, the update
> | pertained to an "IBM Thinkpad UltraNav Pointing Device" whereas the actual
> | hardware is a Toshiba Satellite with a Synaptics Touchpad". The Touchpad no
> | longer works after the update was installed. Where does Windows store what it
> | did ... ie. is there a log file anywhere which shows which files were
> | modified or perhaps where it stored the original files that were replaced.
> | Ultimately, I want to uninstall the update that was applied. If I click on
> | the update that was applied in the History log, nothing happens.

Hello,

Based on my experience, when you installed the update incompletely, you
would be unable to remove it successfully. You need to re-install it
completely and then you would be able to remove it. For your situation (you
have removed the device), I'm afraid you are not able to install the update
any more, and you need to perform system restore to remove it and then try
to perform Windows update again(not to choose this update). But I think it
won't do harm to your PC while you don't remove it. If you have any break
issue with the update, please post back and we will try our best to be of
assistance.

Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------

---------------

| > "TRI-C" wrote:
| >
| > | I would like to know how to uninstall an update that was performed by
Windows
| > | Update. The update itself was in the "Hardware, Optional" Type list
(ie. not
| > | the "High Priority" or the "Software, Optional" list). The update
that was
| > | installed shows up in the History log correctly. I believe that
Microsoft
| > | incorrectly scanned the computer and assigned a hardware update that
| > | pertained to a different type of hardware ... specifically, the
update
| > | pertained to an "IBM Thinkpad UltraNav Pointing Device" whereas the
actual
| > | hardware is a Toshiba Satellite with a Synaptics Touchpad". The
Touchpad no
| > | longer works after the update was installed. Where does Windows store
what it
| > | did ... ie. is there a log file anywhere which shows which files were
| > | modified or perhaps where it stored the original files that were
replaced.
| > | Ultimately, I want to uninstall the update that was applied. If I
click on
| > | the update that was applied in the History log, nothing happens.

Sorry, you misinterpretted the question. The update was installed
successfully. The problem is that the update that Microsoft placed in the
"Hardware, Optional" type should not have been in the list. I made the bad
assumption that all updates in the list are valid and could/should be applied
.... wrong. The question is how to undo this update. Surely, there must be
some way to determine which files were replaced or a log file written
somewhere. (On this note, normally when you apply a security update, there is
a detailed explanation of what it fixes, etc. but for this update, when you
click on it, nothing is displayed. In otherwords, the only information about
the update is the one line description which says "IBM ThinkPad UltraNav
Pointing Device software update released on June 24 2003.". Nothing more is
known about this update.)

"Vincent Xu [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Based on my experience, when you installed the update incompletely, you
> would be unable to remove it successfully. You need to re-install it
> completely and then you would be able to remove it. For your situation (you
> have removed the device), I'm afraid you are not able to install the update
> any more, and you need to perform system restore to remove it and then try
> to perform Windows update again(not to choose this update). But I think it
> won't do harm to your PC while you don't remove it. If you have any break
> issue with the update, please post back and we will try our best to be of
> assistance.
>
> Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Vincent Xu
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> --------------------
> | From: "=?Utf-8?B?VFJJLUM=?=" <TRI-C@news.postalias>
> | Subject: Re: Uninstalling an Update performed by Windows Update process
> | Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:55:03 -0700
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> |
> | I'm afraid that the erroneous update was made some time ago and a lot of
> | other security updates have been made in the interim. Correct me if I'm
> | wrong but I believe that the approach you are suggesting is asuming that
> this
> | update was the last one made.
> |
> | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> |
> | > 1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
> | > 2. In the Search box type: SYSTEM RESTORE , and hit enter.
> | > 3. Then click on: "Run the System Restore Wizard".
> | >
> | > --
> | > Carey Frisch
> | > Microsoft MVP
> | > Windows XP - Shell/User
> | > Microsoft Newsgroups
> | >
> | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

> ---------------

> Windows
> (ie. not
> that was
> Microsoft
> update
> actual
> Touchpad no
> what it
> replaced.
> click on

You could try driver roll back in Device Manager.

TRI-C wrote:

> I would like to know how to uninstall an update that was performed by Windows
> Update. The update itself was in the "Hardware, Optional" Type list (ie. not
> the "High Priority" or the "Software, Optional" list). The update that was
> installed shows up in the History log correctly. I believe that Microsoft
> incorrectly scanned the computer and assigned a hardware update that
> pertained to a different type of hardware ... specifically, the update
> pertained to an "IBM Thinkpad UltraNav Pointing Device" whereas the actual
> hardware is a Toshiba Satellite with a Synaptics Touchpad". The Touchpad no
> longer works after the update was installed. Where does Windows store what it
> did ... ie. is there a log file anywhere which shows which files were
> modified or perhaps where it stored the original files that were replaced.
> Ultimately, I want to uninstall the update that was applied. If I click on
> the update that was applied in the History log, nothing happens.

Thanks, that worked. One of the driver files does show the date that the bad
update was applied. Doing the driver rollback as suggested removed the bad
file and asked me where a good version was so I pointed to the original
driver folder for the touchpad device. The touchpad works perfectly now.

Having done that, do you know if a log file is created when these Hardware
updates are applied or better yet, how can we get more detailed informationl
about a hardware update. I have another hardware update for another computer
but I am reluctant to apply any more of these unless I can see why Microsoft
is suggesting an update exists. All that exists for this other hardware
update is a link to to Microsoft. I have attached the details of the update
below:

Hewlett-Packard Company - Printers - HP LaserJet 4200 PS
Date last published: 6/23/2005
Download size: 10.2 MB
HP printer software update released on June 03 2005.
System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
Get help and support
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/

<<End of Text>>

"Bob I" wrote:

> You could try driver roll back in Device Manager.
>
> TRI-C wrote:
>
> > I would like to know how to uninstall an update that was performed by Windows
> > Update. The update itself was in the "Hardware, Optional" Type list (ie. not
> > the "High Priority" or the "Software, Optional" list). The update that was
> > installed shows up in the History log correctly. I believe that Microsoft
> > incorrectly scanned the computer and assigned a hardware update that
> > pertained to a different type of hardware ... specifically, the update
> > pertained to an "IBM Thinkpad UltraNav Pointing Device" whereas the actual
> > hardware is a Toshiba Satellite with a Synaptics Touchpad". The Touchpad no
> > longer works after the update was installed. Where does Windows store what it
> > did ... ie. is there a log file anywhere which shows which files were
> > modified or perhaps where it stored the original files that were replaced.
> > Ultimately, I want to uninstall the update that was applied. If I click on
> > the update that was applied in the History log, nothing happens.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

TRI-C wrote:

> Thanks, that worked. One of the driver files does show the date that the bad
> update was applied. Doing the driver rollback as suggested removed the bad
> file and asked me where a good version was so I pointed to the original
> driver folder for the touchpad device. The touchpad works perfectly now.
>
> Having done that, do you know if a log file is created when these Hardware
> updates are applied or better yet, how can we get more detailed informationl
> about a hardware update. I have another hardware update for another computer
> but I am reluctant to apply any more of these unless I can see why Microsoft
> is suggesting an update exists. All that exists for this other hardware
> update is a link to to Microsoft. I have attached the details of the update
> below:

Don't get hardware or driver updates from the windows update site. Only
get updates for the OS. Hardware and driver updates should be obtained
from the device manufacturer's or computer OEM's web site and then only
if it will correct a current problem or has a new feature you must have.
In other words don't fix it if it ain't broken.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Glad to hear you're back in business. As for the "hardware" updates, I'm
of the same opinion as Rock(see his reply to your posting). All too
often the system will "misread" the hardware and the "updated" driver
will break the currently operating driver. You just recovered from such
an occurrence. Those drivers are sent to MS by the vendor and as such
are offered as "updates". Operating system updates "Yes", driver updates
"No thanks".