Uninstalling CS Source uninstalled HL2

I have been pretty much Steam-agnostic until now, even though I only have
dialup. No longer.

I didn't want counterstrike(see above), but as you all know, you have to
install it to get around the .ico bug in the cd installer.

One day, Steam decided to partially upgrade HL2 and then for reasons unknown
began updating CS before the HL2 upgrade was finished. When I went to
uninstall CS (to redirect Steam's attention back to HL2), there was no sign
of it in Add/Remove programs. So I clicked on HL2, expecting a maintenence
dialog to appear, similar to the original windows .msi install, where I
could choose to remove cs only.

I was wrong; selecting HL2 in add-remove programs immediately uninstalled
HL2 and left Counterstrike, the exact opposite of what my intention was. So
how DO you uninstall CS if you don't want it?

Steam:

Concept and architecture: C+
Actual implementation: F (and that's being generous)

Andrew

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:16:47 -0600, "Company Man"
<spook@covert.invalid> wrote:

>I was wrong; selecting HL2 in add-remove programs immediately uninstalled
>HL2 and left Counterstrike, the exact opposite of what my intention was. So
>how DO you uninstall CS if you don't want it?

In the CS:S properties, select delete local game content. N.B. I
haven't tried this myself.

shawk

Andrew wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:16:47 -0600, "Company Man"
> <spook@covert.invalid> wrote:
>

>>I was wrong; selecting HL2 in add-remove programs immediately uninstalled
>>HL2 and left Counterstrike, the exact opposite of what my intention was. So
>>how DO you uninstall CS if you don't want it?
>

> In the CS:S properties, select delete local game content. N.B. I
> haven't tried this myself.

I did that In November after getting probs with HL2. Had to d-load the
game again. Doing what Andrew has suggested will work.

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Shawk wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:16:47 -0600, "Company Man"
>> <spook@covert.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>> I was wrong; selecting HL2 in add-remove programs immediately
>>> uninstalled HL2 and left Counterstrike, the exact opposite of what
>>> my intention was. So how DO you uninstall CS if you don't want it?

I'd try going into the steam play games screen, right click on
counterstrike: source, select properties, and turn off automatic updates for
this game, then if you want to remove it as well, try delete local game
content.

_____________
Tom.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, "Company Man" wrote:

> Steam:
>
> Concept and architecture: C+
> Actual implementation: F (and that's being generous)

my take on steam:
evil concept: A (the highest possible)
everything else: Z (the lowest possible)

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam