Uninstalling Intel Applicaton "Accelerator"

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

How does one completely uninstall the Intel Applicaton Accelerator (v. 2.3)?
It makes my system unstable (not to
mention running slower), so I uninstalled it--yeah, right, like I knew that
would work--and then I cleaned out my registry manually. For good measure, I
used McAfee QuickClean afterwards.

Guess what, now that I've rebooted, I have no IDE devices, and Windows XP is
telling me that it can't find the IdeBusDr.sys file (which is part of IAA)!
WTF?! How can I completely get rid of it? What else is left for me to do,
short of formatting and reinstalling WinXP?

Many thanks for any help.

Hackworth wrote:

> How does one completely uninstall the Intel Applicaton Accelerator (v. 2.3)?
> It makes my system unstable (not to
> mention running slower), so I uninstalled it--yeah, right, like I knew that
> would work--and then I cleaned out my registry manually. For good measure, I
> used McAfee QuickClean afterwards.
>
> Guess what, now that I've rebooted, I have no IDE devices, and Windows XP is
> telling me that it can't find the IdeBusDr.sys file (which is part of IAA)!
> WTF?! How can I completely get rid of it? What else is left for me to do,
> short of formatting and reinstalling WinXP?
>
> Many thanks for any help.

Use F8 to get boot options and try last known working to see if that get's
it back.

If not, just 'upgrade' windows so it redetects your devices. That'll save
your settings and software but you'll need to reapply service packs and
windows updates.

could try reinstalling the chipset drivers first but i wouldn't count on
that bring your drives back.

the application accelerator is useless. it just changes a few settings you
could have easily changed yourself like enabling DMA and then takes away
your option to change them back.

"wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<TU1Gc.28$xg2.12@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...

> could try reinstalling the chipset drivers first but i wouldn't
> count on that bring your drives back.
>
> the application accelerator is useless. it just changes a few
> settings you could have easily changed yourself like enabling
> DMA and then takes away your option to change them back.

For people not using Windows 2000 or XP, it also adds Windows support
for IDE drives larger than 137GB.

On 5 Jul 2004 10:46:49 -0700, do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com
(do_not_spam_me) wrote:

| "wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<TU1Gc.28$xg2.12@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
|
| > could try reinstalling the chipset drivers first but i wouldn't
| > count on that bring your drives back.
| >
| > the application accelerator is useless. it just changes a few
| > settings you could have easily changed yourself like enabling
| > DMA and then takes away your option to change them back.
|
| For people not using Windows 2000 or XP, it also adds Windows support
| for IDE drives larger than 137GB.

Everybody considering installing IAA should first make sure their
Intel chipset will work with it. Not all do, including the 865 and
875 series.

Here's the note on Intel's IAA page:

Note: The Intel Application Accelerator is not compatible with the
Intel® 875P, 865G/P/PE, 852/855 GM/GME, 855MP, 848P, 815EM chipset,
the Intel® 440 chipset family, or any earlier Intel chipsets.

If you want to look for yourself...

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/CS-009312.htm

Larc

no, it doesn't. i'm using win98se with a 160gb hard drive and i never
installed the worthless IAA.

"wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<CYhGc.32881$eH1.15707164@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...

> the application accelerator is useless. it just changes a few
> settings you could have easily changed yourself like enabling
> DMA and then takes away your option to change them back.

> > For people not using Windows 2000 or XP, it also adds
> > Windows support for IDE drives larger than 137GB.

> no, it doesn't. i'm using win98se with a 160gb hard drive and
> i never installed the worthless IAA.

Here's what Intel says at
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/CS-009306.htm :

"It is important to understand that once the Intel®
Application Accelerator has been installed on a hard
drive larger than 137GB on Windows* XP and Windows
2000, you will be able to access the full capacity
of the hard drive. If you later decide to uninstall
the Intel Application Accelerator, you will not be
able to access the data that was previously located
in the 48-bit LBA region (above 137GB)."

Do you have a PCI IDE controller card? The Windows drivers included
with some such cards add 48-bit LBA support to Windows 98/98SE/ME.

do_not_spam_me wrote:

> "wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<CYhGc.32881$eH1.15707164@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...
>

>>the application accelerator is useless. it just changes a few
>>settings you could have easily changed yourself like enabling
>>DMA and then takes away your option to change them back.
>

>>>For people not using Windows 2000 or XP, it also adds
>>>Windows support for IDE drives larger than 137GB.
>

>>no, it doesn't. i'm using win98se with a 160gb hard drive and
>>i never installed the worthless IAA.
>

> Here's what Intel says at
> http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/CS-009306.htm :
>
> "It is important to understand that once the Intel®
> Application Accelerator has been installed on a hard
> drive larger than 137GB on Windows* XP and Windows
> 2000, you will be able to access the full capacity
> of the hard drive. If you later decide to uninstall
> the Intel Application Accelerator, you will not be
> able to access the data that was previously located
> in the 48-bit LBA region (above 137GB)."
>
> Do you have a PCI IDE controller card? The Windows drivers included
> with some such cards add 48-bit LBA support to Windows 98/98SE/ME.

The confusion comes from which IDE controller the mobo has. If it's Intel
then what Intel says is going to be the case. If, however, it is from
someone else and they have their own driver, instead of using the built in
Windows98/SE/ME drivers, then it's quite possible for them to include
support for greater than 137GB drives, just as an add-on card with it's own
driver can support them.

It is the built-in Windows98/SE/ME IDE drivers that will never be able to
because MS is not doing any more 'upgrades' to them.