Question Uninstalling OS and programs from old C: after cloned to SSD (Bonus question: Can WUDownload Cache folder be cleared out from D:?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
I have two partitions on a 2TB HDD currently. The C: has the OS, which is the one I will be cloning to the SSD. I just want to double check that my steps and logic are correct before I storm ahead.

1. Backed up my entire HDD to external hard drive as a backup file using Toshiba's stock software.
  2. Clone C: (which is about 50GBs smaller than the blank SSD I'm cloning to) to the SSD. In the same process, clone the "System Reserved (None) NTFS Active" which is 261.4MB and the "(None) NTFS Primary" which is 390.4MB to the SSD with the C:
  3. Disconnect the HDD and attach SSD to the same SATA cable as the HDD was.
  4. Boot a few times to make sure it boots from SSD now

Once this is hopefully successfully complete, I plan to remove all photos and other random files from the new C on the SSD and just leave the OS and the programs there. Then on the old C: on the HDD, I will uninstall the programs from there. I have a couple questions about this part:
  • Are there any issues with uninstalling these programs from the old C: now that they are cloned to the SSD?
  • Can you delete the OS from the old C: on the HDD? How would you do that?

Finally, I found that almost 200GB of my second partition on the HDD, the D:, has this WUDownloadCache. From what I looked up, it seems to just be the cache for when windows updates. This is odd since my OS is on the C: so I'm not sure what this folder is doing on the D and why is it so big??

I know there's a lot of questions/confirmations here, but any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Dang. Not working. I should’ve shut down and unplugged the power immediately after clone. (Not sure why but my computer sometimes turns on by itself, and it did that once between the clone and the switching of the SATA cables)

I guess my only option is totally start over?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Dang. Not working. I should’ve shut down and unplugged the power immediately after clone. (Not sure why but my computer sometimes turns on by itself, and it did that once between the clone and the switching of the SATA cables)

I guess my only option is totally start over?
I would start over completely.
Return the system back to original working condition, without the SSD.

Redo the clone operation.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Oh no...not booting right away from my HDD. Same behavior that my SSD did upon boot. Windows logo, spinning wheel, mouse pointer visible upon movement then black.

UPDATE: powered down again, and just unplugged the SSD and it booted off old HDD.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
I must’ve messed something up. Booted up fine once I unplugged the SSD. Then I got a mini dialog box saying internal error, failed to create temporary directory. Everything else looked fine, though.

Rebooted but now it’s scanning and repairing drive. Not looking good.

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Just wait and see what happens.
Yeah, it booted and didn’t have that error again. Rebooted again to make sure and it’s working now (a little slower). Then booted again with SSD plugged back in and it booted.

I will try to clone again (does order of partitions cloned matter?) and immediately do the reboot.

PS thank you so much for your continued responses on this.

Last edited:

mikeg1251

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Good deal.
With an operation like this, we always need to start from a stable base config.
Holy Moley. It worked. First the HDD wasn’t recognized so I rebooted and it was there. I then downloaded partition wizard, and deleted all the partitions and moved/expanded original D to take up whole HDD. Then changed drive letter of original D back to D from E and rebooted. Everything worked and all the old connections to D were active again. Games even booted up like nothing happened :)

Does that mean I’m in the clear???

TRENDING THREADS