Uninstalling/reinstalling windows 10 with a CD?

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017
So i want to buy a SSD to put windows on and a few applications. However i currently have a SSHD with windows on. I have an official windows 10 product CD but i dont know how to go about uninstalling windows and getting it onto the SSD? does anybody know

Solution
If windows 10 is already installed on the pc, then there's no need for key, when you reinstall.
It will activate automatically once connected to internet.
Ok so if you aren't changing any other components, and your SSD is of the same / larger size than the SSHD, then your best and easiest bet is a clone. Macrium reflect is one of the best free cloning softwares and you can watch a youtube video for a detailed tutorial on how to do it - its very easy. You won't need to bother with the Win 10 CD or license.

If your SSD is not bigger than your SSHD, a clone can still work but its recommended to do a clean install instead. You won't need the CD. Just grab the product key for your existing windows 10 install using https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/. The download the Windows 10 media creation tool and download the latest Win 10 installation media to a USB flashdrive to boot from. Then just follow this guide http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html. Enter your key that you retrieved when asked.

Rumbletum

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Find and write down your Win10 key and other software thats on your current installation (Belarc Advisor will tell you all your keys for your software which you might need when you put the software on your SSD. Print the output).
If you want to have a clean install on SSD, take out the SSHD. Put in SSD, and ensure your BIOS is set to boot from your CD/DVD drive first. Insert Win 10 product CD and restart computer. Follow instrcutions and hopefully all will go well.
Or your SSD may come with software which allows you to transfer a copy of the system system files from SSHD to SSD.

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017

So i dont need to use the CD either? whats the point in having the CD then?

I thought id have to use it for an easy reinstall or something