Uninstalling Windows 8.1 by System Refresh

Alexandra Borja

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Hello. I bought an ASUS Vivobook S400 that came with a preinstalled Windows 8 back in 2012. Around last year, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 via the Windows Store App. I want to do a System Refresh. Will it be easy to just perform it if I want to go back to Windows 8?

Solution

Interesting question. Normally Refresh and Reset rely on the Recovery Partition on a pre-installed laptop to use as a reference. Question is, did the 8.1 Upgrade also update the Recovery Partition? I don't have a pre-installed machine to try that on, so don't know the answer. A lot depends on whether you want to return to plain 8 through choice, or just to refresh 8.1 for other reasons. F9 at Power On gets you into Advanced Options rather than accessing the Recovery...

Interesting question. Normally Refresh and Reset rely on the Recovery Partition on a pre-installed laptop to use as a reference. Question is, did the 8.1 Upgrade also update the Recovery Partition? I don't have a pre-installed machine to try that on, so don't know the answer. A lot depends on whether you want to return to plain 8 through choice, or just to refresh 8.1 for other reasons. F9 at Power On gets you into Advanced Options rather than accessing the Recovery Partition direct, so I suspect it will just Refresh/reset your machine to 8.1 I don't see any option in your Manual to access the Recovery Partition direct, It may be possible to obtain Recovery media from Asus to revert to 8, but I suspect that will be expensive!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS