[SOLVED] Uninstalling Windows

alliearmstrong

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I’m currently running Windows 8.1 and I’ve tried to update to Windows 10, but background intelligent transfer service will not turn on. I’ve tried multiple things including running command prompt as and admin yet nothing has solved the issue. If I reset my computer will that fix it?

Solution
When I bought my computer I was given a disc with windows 8.1 on it. I found the license key on the side of the computer. So if I have it I won’t need to pay for Windows 10?
Correct.

Prepare for a clean install of the OS and everything else.
Save whatever personal files you want.
Document all your passwords and usernames.

Create a Win 10 USB to boot from - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the one you want the OS on.
Power up and boot from the USB you created.

USAFRet

Titan
There are multiple reasons why an "upgrade" might fail.

How are you invoking this upgrade?
What is the parts list of this system?
Does the current Win 8.1 perform flawlessly?

Bottom line - a clean install of WIn 10 will almost certainly work, vs trying to do an in place "upgrade" of the current OS.

alliearmstrong

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
There are multiple reasons why an "upgrade" might fail.

How are you invoking this upgrade?
What is the parts list of this system?
Does the current Win 8.1 perform flawlessly?

Bottom line - a clean install of WIn 10 will almost certainly work, vs trying to do an in place "upgrade" of the current OS.
What might you suggest? The current system runs fine except that I can’t update windows at all and that BITS won’t turn on no matter what I’ve tried

alliearmstrong

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
If you're running that and trying to do an "Upgrade", consider the other choice....a full clean install of Win 10.
After downloading the tool, I ran the program and it gave me an error multiple times. I even tried putting it on a USB and it still gave me the error.

Would I have to pay for a new clean version of Windows 10? It’s no issue, I’m just unsure of where to download/buy it.

USAFRet

Titan
After downloading the tool, I ran the program and it gave me an error multiple times. I even tried putting it on a USB and it still gave me the error.

Would I have to pay for a new clean version of Windows 10? It’s no issue, I’m just unsure of where to download/buy it.
Do you have the current Win 8.1 license key?
If so, no need to purchase a new Win 10 license.

USAFRet

Titan
When I bought my computer I was given a disc with windows 8.1 on it. I found the license key on the side of the computer. So if I have it I won’t need to pay for Windows 10?
Correct.

Create a Win 10 USB to boot from - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Power off

Solution

alliearmstrong

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Correct.

Power off
The installation keeps giving me an error code. Even if I try to install it on a USB