[SOLVED] Unique dilema.Is it safe to replace thermal paste(remove cooler) if some of motherboard socket pins were bent

Mar 30, 2019
Hi. I'm giving my older pc to my nephew and before that i want to replace thermal paste on cpu and gpu as it's at least 2-3 years old. socket 1155, 3570k, ASRock Z77 Pro4.

Here are my dilemas:
2-3 years ago I managed to bend pins(1 or 2) on the mobo then it didnt post and as 1155 socket was discontinued at that time and I could not find new replacement whithout paying stupid $ i googled and managed to bend back those pins and it has been working without issues so far. Now I'm rather concerned that if i remove CPU cooler it might not work any more.
Second dilema is that it will be shipped and I would rather take off the cooler for shipping as it does not matter how well i pack inside it will still recieve fair ammount of boot treatment.
P.S. Cpu will stay in it's socket untill mobo or it self dies.

On a side note cpu cooler for my new system did not arrive today and intel does not send stock cooler for K chips. Can I use Zalman CNPS11X Extreme old model like 2011 for 9700k with mild overclock or none at all.(As far as i know it's compatable with all 115x boards) or i should wait another week before i do my build. I live in rather big city and went to 4 shops today(saturday) and nobody holds actual stock any more in showrooms.

This is unique problem thank you for your time

Solution
As others have mentioned, it won't affect the pins.

Also just because paste is a few years old doesn't mean you need to replace it. I'm still on my original paste from 2011 on my 2500k and temps are still the same. The only time you need to is if temps go up or you are removing the hsf. It is recommended to remove it when shipping so it does need to be replaced but the 2-3 years part doesn't mean anything so you can leave the gpu paste alone. You may also want to take the gpu out of the pcie slot when shipping since it's also heavy and not supported well, depending on the gpu.

The hsf is fine to use on your 9700k.

Also just because paste is a few years old doesn't mean you need to replace it. I'm still on my original paste from 2011 on my 2500k and temps are still the same. The only time you need to is if temps go up or you are removing the hsf. It is recommended to remove it when shipping so it does need to be replaced but the 2-3 years part doesn't mean anything so you can leave the gpu paste alone. You may also want to take the gpu out of the pcie slot when shipping since it's also heavy and not supported well, depending on the gpu.

Solution
Mar 30, 2019

Another thing is that i can not find old box for that zalman are all of the screws brackets etc already on the old 1155 mobo which i can transplant to 1151? I dont want to wait another week for new hsf to arrive but if any thinks that I might damage any of the rigs i could way. Thank you everyone for quick responses altough i would like to get few more opinions