Question Unique issue with updated Graphics Driver

mobeel

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
So whenever I update my graphics driver for my gtx 780 sc, my cpu will be at 100% load and instantly freeze on desktop after boot.

I know it's specifically a driver issue because when I install my gpu, the default driver (390.65) everything works fine. But the second I manually download /install the driver from nvidias website OR when windows automatically updates the driver, the pc will crash.

I'm not 100% sure if the cpu is at 100% load because when you open your task manager it will for a split second say 100% but the computer will crash and the last thing I saw was the cpu at 100%.

I've recently wanted to update my gpu but I'm running into this problem. Im thinking this might be a compatibility issue, can't think of anything else. Also can't find the same issue on Google.

I posted the same question on r/techsupport but not many replies. Take a look at what one person wrote...
Reddit thread

Specs are :
i5-7600k
Evga Gtx 780 sc
8gb ddr4 2400mhz ram
500gb WD hdd

mobeel

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
Try this:

1. Download the latest NVidia driver and leave it somewhere on the computer locally.
  2. Download DDU
  3. Run safe mode and run DDU.
  4. Disable or disconnect your internet connection (so windows update doesn't auto install....)
  5. Install the graphics driver.
Hope this works. :)
Do you want me to install the new graphics driver in safe mode as well? And what would be the point of disabling my internet if I already downloaded the latest driver from step 1/5? Thanks in advanced

mobeel

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
Try this:

1. Download the latest NVidia driver and leave it somewhere on the computer locally.
  2. Download DDU
  3. Run safe mode and run DDU.
  4. Disable or disconnect your internet connection (so windows update doesn't auto install....)
  5. Install the graphics driver.
Hope this works. :)
Solved by running DDU! That was easy. Thank you