GC: MSI GTX GeForce 1070
SSD: Samsung 500GB 750 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB)X2 DDR4 PC4-29200C18
3600MHz
PSU: Corsair RM Series RMi 750 '80+ Gold' 750W
Cooler: SilentiumPC Navis RGB 120 (I know it's not decent AiO

So...
Story begins in Saturday, 2 day ago. After instaling a game from internet (it was Re-Volt, fan made remake to work for Windows 10), game crashes from missing files, so I thought it's broken game and I unistalled it. I have ESET Internet Security running, It didn't react at all. In the same time, Windows was updating probably...

For some reason, I didn't thought it will cause so much trouble. To mention, I didn't have any problems with my computer since March 2019, when I basically installed all parts.
So - after short time from unistalling a game, my computer freezes. Like, just stops. Nothing working. My LED's on computer stops working too - they went up from my setup to default. So, my thought - windows crushed and I need to restart. When I restarted and Windows booted... I noticed it needs almost 50 seconds to boot, when usually it's around 10-15 sec. And ofc, problem still existed, my computer usually hangs and stops - I noticed I have 100% usage of CPU at start boot - when I opened Google Chrome too quickly - it freezes.

So, my battle of normally working computer started. I did ALMOST EVERYTHING, to fix it.
My list from memory: (could update it later)
  • Started Windows with clean boot (no services and subprograms
  • sfc /scannow
  • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  • memory check
  • chkdsk
  • powershell -Get command
  • power options on High Performance
  • UPDATE BIOS
  • Update most drivers
  • Change my BIOS setting to default
  • TRIMing SSD (my TRIM schedule didn't work apperently, but it didn't fix it)
  • running on Safe Mode with internet - it was working here normally (tested 20-30 min)
  • checking for viruses (Malwarebytes and ESET didn't found anything)
AND FINALLY REINSTALL.
I did clean reinstall of SSD disk, my all data on SSD gone, only Windows. My HDD stayed untouched.
After reinstall:
  • SSD worked normally
  • no freezes.
UNTIL... I installed pretty much everything back (without iCue for LEDs) my drivers, program, Steam, updates.
I noticed, when I installed latest Win Updates, SSD started booting slow again when Update configuration started.
Pretty much after that went everything wrong again. CPU again started to have 100% at start (then going back to 1%)
when I started Google Chrome too quickly or smth like that. But then, I noticed 2 time, computer freezed before I opened Google Chrome! So something else also hangs my computer.
When I opened Task Bar at begging of startup, I can clearly see 100% of CPU Usage and then going down.
After reinstall I tried also same method of checking as above. Nothing changed.

Need really help, because I tried almost everything before I will start changing my parts or smthing like that.
I will check today thermal paste (altrought my temps are really low from 30C to 50C, also GC is cool), but I don't think it's procesor problem.

Guys, I would love to hear something new to try.
I beg you guys, really. I feel so powerless about this problem.

EDIT!!!
Also to mention - could iCue to LED control or AISuite 3 software to control fan from ASUS, cause any trouble with my hardware? When I was using it before, it never causes any trouble or lagging, now this software is slow responsive, like when I change value of fans to work faster, changes happens in like 5-10 sec after, before it was ultra fast.

Would love to hear any thought, just to resolve this, maybe I will make something up when we will disscuss this problem...

Last edited:
Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Firstly, you say you have BSOD? If so, could you grab the minidump files and post a downloadable link here? This could help shed some light on potential driver issues.
Also, you state:
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB)X2 DDR4 PC4-29200C18
Does this mean you bought 2 SEPERATE packs of 2x4GB RAM? If so, this is not guaranteed compatibility, so you might want to try removing one set of the modules (ensure they are the same pack modules).

Presumably you are downloading the drivers directly from the manufacturers websites, and not using a driver updater of any kind?
You say that the system basically works fine after a clean install until you install everything? Is the 20-30 minutes long enough for you to be sure that it doesn't occur in safe mode?

Reactions: MeO123

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
Thank you very much for answer!!

Yeap, my fault though here - BSOD was caused by XMP Profile which I used from begining - after I went from BIOS default XMP turned off, but I forgot to save profile, so basically my timings on DRAM I set previously went off. I tried to increase size of memory file page on disk if I am saying it right (Virtual Memory on System Settings) and it caused BSOD pool_corruption infile area. I actually understand why It failed, but after I fixed my timings, and went in diffrent XMP Profile, eveything was fine (fine, like no BSODs, but still freezing)

I downloaded drivers from Win Updates and from Q-Installer (ASUS Third-Party Installer)
I actually don't think it causes trouble, because all drivers from Q-Installer are from ASUS website. Maybe someone had simillar problem and I am wrong?

I mean 2 SEPARATE PACKS, but it was same RAM, same manufacturer, same timings ETC. I never had problems with this setting, homever XMP was causing trouble in the begging, but after setting timinig of DRAM manually, everything was fine.

Yes, system was running normally, after FIRST boot after clean reinstall (obviously SECOND boot was with Windows Update and after that THIRD boot was like 40-50 second long like it is now).

And yes, it's enough for me because simply problem happens on STARTUP of windows (system only one time froze after 20-30 minutes, it was before clean reinstall)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I mean 2 SEPARATE PACKS, but it was same RAM, same manufacturer, same timings ETC.
Unfortunately, they are still mixed modules, even if they are the exact same model.

RAM is ONLY guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). Any mixed modules are not guaranteed compatibility. This is largely down to how delicate and the manufacturing process is, and how it frequently changes. Theoretically you could get 2 packs of the EXACT SAME make and model RAM, but from 2 different packs and they may not work at all with one another, because they are mixed modules.

Not saying it never works, just it's a gamble, and the only way to find out is my trying it, as even someone with the same system with the same model RAM may have a different outcome. Every system is different. So it is ultimately a gamble, and can cause the issues you describe, so it may be worth checking.

So overall the system runs fine when you start in safe mode, but freezes almost immediately when you boot normally into windows?
All this whilst the BIOS is reset to complete defaults?

As long as it does install directly from the ASUS website, fine. However have you also verified all other drivers are up to date not using an installer?
Was it the windows in built memory diagnostic you run? Have you tried running memtest for at least 4 passes? (it's more thorough).
Was that the only BSOD you encountered?

Presumably you are running the Malwarebytes free version alongside ESET? AV can cause all manner of problems also so could well be a conflict.
Have you tried a clean boot state to see if the issue persists also?

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
Thanks again for the reply. Maybe you and me could find some soultion!

First - I suspect before it could cause some problems. But after matching it with diffrent timings, everything went perfect.

Okay, memtest is one of things I will do.

System is fine in safe mode, but it not always freeze when I start computer - ONLY WHEN I start too many programs in same time at the begging of Windows start - like, is my logo screen, Welcome shows, deskopt shows, and f.e: in that time I will open Google Chrome (almost always) and it freezes.
Althrough, the same problem do not occurs when I open task bar (it shows 100% CPU usage 2-4 sec after Windows Start and then going down to 20-30%)
And YES - it all happened whilist the BIOS was reset to complete default.

Mostly problem is of SSD - is runinng slower than usual, mostly because of Windows booting time, programs starting etc.

I verifed other drivers, like BIOS, Chipset, SATA Drivers, even VGA drivers (could it help?)
I never had other BSOD's like mentioned before.

I was running Malwarebytes on safe mode, whle ESET was off. It should not cause trouble.
I have tried clean boot state before, but now when I have clean install, and not so many programs like I had before, is it necessary ?

Last edited:

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
Also @PC Tailor you think it could be really bad virus? Like should I actually reinstall system again, clean install, remove my HDD form computer and then try to check install drivers one-by-one to check if that will help?

EDIT: I removed HDD from my computer but still SSD is running slow on boot, also 100% CPU usage at the begging of startup. I don't know what to do anymore...

EDIT 2: Apperently switching between diffrent SATA ports or diffrent SATA cables didn't work. I am really hoping it won't end with formating SSD and HDD...

EDIT 3: Apperently, Windows froze even without being at 100% CPU usage, that confused me so much... - I was working normally for like 15-20 minutes on Google Chrome and it just froze my cursor, deskopt and pretty much everything else.

Last edited:

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
Also @PC Tailor you think it could be really bad virus? Like should I actually reinstall system again, clean install, remove my HDD form computer and then try to check install drivers one-by-one to check if that will help?

EDIT: I removed HDD from my computer but still SSD is running slow on boot, also 100% CPU usage at the begging of startup. I don't know what to do anymore...

EDIT 2: Apperently switching between diffrent SATA ports or diffrent SATA cables didn't work. I am really hoping it won't end with formating SSD and HDD...

EDIT 3: Apperently, Windows froze even without being at 100% CPU usage, that confused me so much... - I was working normally for like 15-20 minutes on Google Chrome and it just froze my cursor, deskopt and pretty much everything else.

EDIT 4: 40 minutes of working now. No BSOD's for now, no freezes also. SSD is still running slow though...

EDIT 5: 2 hours working. Seems stable, but SSD is still running slow... @PC Tailor SSD can cause freeze on Windows yes?

EDIT 6: 3 hours working... SSD slow, but no issues...
Tommorow If same problem happens, I will do clean install again...

Last edited:

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
@PC Tailor need you here...

Memtest went good tonight - 100% pass, no errors, no ecc errors.

After Memtest, today morning, I noticed my computer can't boot itself - it always going to BIOS first - I need to boot it manually to work - and I don't know what to do at this point.
Today after work, I will plug off my HDD drive, format my SSD, try to reinstall system, and slowly install any drivers, to check what is cause of this behaviour.

If it won't work, what can I do? I cannot afford new SSD or components. Any ideas?

Oct 8, 2019
Why dont you try a fresh install without updating windows ?. I suspect windows update is the culprit. Because everytime when you encounter an issue its only after windows update.
Just do a fresh install and keep internet disconnected and install all drivers offline and see. IMHO its probably the update which is ruining your pc.

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
Why dont you try a fresh install without updating windows ?. I suspect windows update is the culprit. Because everytime when you encounter an issue its only after windows update.
Just do a fresh install and keep internet disconnected and install all drivers offline and see. IMHO its probably the update which is ruining your pc.

Hey, thanks for reply!

If this is Windows Update issue, what can I do when I will want to update Windows? Or just keep it not updated?
I will try to install everything offline. I will try not to update Windows, but if I remember correctly, Windows Update can turn updates itself?

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
UPDATE:
I have clean install, I basically formated my SSD, did a install from USB. Install was without internet, no other drivers (HDD), no updates.
Now the problem isn't in:
  • drivers - installed all one-by-one, checking everytime 3-4 restarts, SSD working perfectly, BOOT is ok fast as it should be
  • HDD - innstalled hard drive, and also checked for slow boot or freeze - nothing happened.
  • AISuite, MSI AfterBurner - it also dosn't cause troubles. SSD working like it should be.

Now, I don't have Windows Updates, will just run like this now, will try to install other things I had, but slowly.

Also question to everyone who had/has ASUS PRIME Z390-A or simillar MOBO - or same CPU

Can processor run on turbo without any programs turned on? Like no Antivirus, no Google Chrome, Steam etc. Like I have CPU running on 4,6 Ghz - 4,8 Ghz idle - while it shows 20%-2% load.

Weird I don't remember to overclock it to 4,8 Ghz - I remember have it on 4600 Mhz MAX.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Apologies, I've been away for a little while.

Personally I am not sure if Windows update is causing this issue, purely on the basis that if it was a Microsoft problem, more people would probably be having it. However what it can easily be is Microsoft update either installing misbehaving drivers, or a third party module conflicting with the latest windows updates.

Can processor run on turbo without any programs turned on? Like no Antivirus, no Google Chrome, Steam etc. Like I have CPU running on 4,6 Ghz - 4,8 Ghz idle - while it shows 20%-2% load.
yes because even without any of those running, there are still lots of services and background activities occurring. It can really vary. The max turbo clock of the 9700K is 4.9 but this will change based on how many cores boost.

If the clean install doesn't fix the issue, you're likely on hardware diagnosis. Being as you've already looked at BIOS for example - presumably V1302?

Being as you have clean installed, there won't be much point now, however if you do get to installing drivers when the issue occurs, you mkay want to run driver viewer to see what modules are loaded and we can have a look at what might be causing the issues.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019
UPDATE:
I have clean install, I basically formated my SSD, did a install from USB. Install was without internet, no other drivers (HDD), no updates.
Now the problem isn't in:
  • drivers - installed all one-by-one, checking everytime 3-4 restarts, SSD working perfectly, BOOT is ok fast as it should be
  • HDD - innstalled hard drive, and also checked for slow boot or freeze - nothing happened.
  • AISuite, MSI AfterBurner - it also dosn't cause troubles. SSD working like it should be.

Now, I don't have Windows Updates, will just run like this now, will try to install other things I had, but slowly.

Also question to everyone who had/has ASUS PRIME Z390-A or simillar MOBO - or same CPU

Weird I don't remember to overclock it to 4,8 Ghz - I remember have it on 4600 Mhz MAX.
Glad to hear that you your pc is working fine. Actually the reason for my suggestion to prevent updates to your OS is to rule out hardware fault if there is any.

Regarding OS updates, if the update is not friendly with a particular hardware, you will have to wait for a fix.

But seriously I don't know how MS will release a fix if an update has issues only with a particular set of hardware. Sorry I am not well verse in this and hence you can seek the advice of experts.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
But seriously I don't know how MS will release a fix if an update has issues only with a particular set of hardware
In most cases Microsoft isn't the problem, it's the third party.
So it will more likely and usually be the third party that should release patched drivers for said hardware :)

Most commonly GPU, WiFi/Internet, Chipset drivers. But Microsoft are pretty awful at making things simple for people!

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
@PC Tailor @jinvidia thanks for reply guys, really!

Now, I went trought serveral tests, and I am know almost (not 100%) sure what causes the problem.

I am at the state, where I have :
  • all drivers installed
  • all external drives installed
  • Steam, and other programs installed.
No Win Update tho. Might check that later.

Today I realized, that my computer - have same problem as before, but....
It apperently don't triggers "freezing" that much. Like I said before, I had freeze instantly after Windows is in deskopt. And I can't do anything, can wait 30- minutes, nothing. Need to force quit computer, in cause to work.
So NOW, my computer "freezes" but for matter of second. Like one strike, and no more. It's like lag spike in games. It doesn't freezes always, but like before, in the same moment, when I opened Google Chrome too fast or smth like that.

What about SSD? Today I realized, when I installed FaceitAC (it's a subprogram to check for Cheats on Faceit platform, game CS:GO) - when this program update itself to the latest version, apperently cause slow boot.
Weird huh? I already made a ticket on Faceit Support.

UPDATE:

After second update from FaceitAC... everything went to **** pretty fast... again freezes and slow boot, even when I shut down computer.
Funny thing, everything is normal, when FaceitAC is uninstalled...

Last edited:

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
FIX:

Update guys!
Thread can be closed.

Apperently, more people have problems with FACEIT AntiCheat - so I am waiting for support to fix it. There was nothing wrong with my hardware or Windows... I should just unistall it and everything would be fine! So glad I did a backup...

Thanks people for help anyway!

Related links:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/FACEITcom/comments/dpk9cv/faceit_anti_cheat_strange_problem/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/FACEITcom/comments/dp9k34/faceit_ac/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/FACEITcom/comments/do609y/pc_freezes_when_i_turn_on_ac_or_even_have_it_on/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/FACEITcom/comments/dngidk/faceit_anticheat_causing_slow_boot_time/

Solution